Lures

hulk

ive got all the squidgy dvd (except for the lastest one) and they are very useful, also go a few of the afc series that are good to watch how the "pros" do it. just try and get your hands on any of that stuff and study it then go down and try all the techniques out for yourself and figure out your own technique.

it can take some time but just gotta be patient and keep trying at it.

Fishing Tingalpa today for a few hours. Bloke walks past with a big flatty (Gotta be 60cm+). "Where d'ya catch that, mate?" "Round the bend on the flat bit" "What bait?" "Just a hard body lure" "Top, middle or bottom?" "Bottom"

Guess what's on my secret must buy list now!!! (So that's one switchblade in gold and a bottom running HB.....)

Sweet!B)

I took the advice of the rod being a bit too heavy so I swapped to my daughters $2.oo amart special as it's very light an whippy.(it looks rubbish but you would be surprised at how regular I have caught fish with it, plus I can't afford a better rod at this stage))

I went to Pacific Harbour first thing on Saturday morning.I didn't have the courage to fish without flesh bait so I had a couple of other rods ready whilst I flicked silly.

I used the nuke chook and lost three to bitten tails.In hindsight I think that I may have been a little bit too eager when striking once I felt the bites.All part of the learning process I suppose.

I also tried the 10gm Halco wobbler fo 1/2 hour with no luck( might need to try other areas with this one.)

I also took advantage of the Kmart sale and picked up a 30gm wobbler, 3 inch pumpkinseed minnow( from many posts I have read that these do tend to reap rewards)3 pack of Kokoda Power prawn 1.5 oz size(am interested to see how these work)

All I need now is to keep trying and eventually my fortunes will change.What made it harder was I got a phone call from a mate who is just starting out on plastics too and he had caught a 65cm flathead from Shorncliffe pier using an atomic Prawn without in initialy realising he had it on:( .Jealousy is a curse but gee I wished it were me bragging about the flattie:P . Next time it will be.

Hulk

Hulk

i have been here over 12 months now and very quickly got hooked on soft plastics,rods reels,braid and more plastics than you can imagine.Only 4 weeks ago i caught my first on a plastic,a 58cm flattie at the pin.3 weeks ago i caught my second fish a 55cm kingie in the seaway.It will turn around im sure,very difficult but you need to have faith that what youre doing will catch a fish.

Good luck

Bri.

YOU BLOODY BEWDY.

I went down to the Pine at Bald Hills Park after work yesterday afternoon to try my luck. I was using the much bragged about nuke chook when whammo, I was on.:woohoo:

The fish was coming in in a way that I thought it may have been a flathead but no it wasn't.I was so wrapt. I thought it was a small Jewie at first glance but I yelled out to a boat passing by and asked them what it was( my mind wasn't functioning properly).

These good guys informed me it was a Mulloway and it was a good sign being in the river(thanks fellas for advising me if you are indeed forum members as I forgot to ask)It was 32cm and after a quick photo opportunity, I carefully released it.

The only other bites I got for the sesh were sandflies( which I appear to be allergic to as I scratch like mad for a week after)but the irritation is worth it knowing it will remind me of my first SP catch. IT's only the beginning of a long and hopefully properous future with the SPS. And to think I was thinking that I had blown too much of my hard earned on these useless things HA HA.

Even better is the fact theat this fishing spot is 5 minutes from work and I can go before and after work and not adversely affect my time with my family.

Hulk

Gday Hulk n well done mate:woohoo: I was sceptical like u were about plastics :unsure: wen i first started using them but I hav caught more fish n better quality fish on em than I ever did on bait:cheer: (besides livies that is). Anytime ya wanna head down there just give me a bell n I will join ya.Cheers

Dean;)

2 hours on the brissy river, low tide again, sbs, hbs, not a nibble! Some big fish made a bit of a kerfuffle on the surface, but no where near my line!! (Low tide is my only fishing time at the moment, unfortunately, but it's all good practise!!) Now own a 1/8 TT Switchblade in Gold Noggin, some Kokoda 9cm fingerbait rigged baits and some Gulp 3" Fry Nook Chook. How exciting is it when they open the cabinet with the TTs in it down BCF!!B)

MoparKevUk wrote:

2 hours on the brissy river, low tide again, sbs, hbs, not a nibble! Some big fish made a bit of a kerfuffle on the surface, but no where near my line!! (Low tide is my only fishing time at the moment, unfortunately, but it's all good practise!!) Now own a 1/8 TT Switchblade in Gold Noggin, some Kokoda 9cm fingerbait rigged baits and some Gulp 3" Fry Nook Chook. How exciting is it when they open the cabinet with the TTs in it down BCF!!B)

I have caught some good flattie landbased close to low tide in the river.

Might just be a bit quiet at the moment.

Dan

Another fruitless 2 hrs today. Disapponited not to catch anything with me switchblade, but I was so scared of snagging it, perhaps I was a bit rapid on the retrieve! Tried SBs and HBs, poppers and the others. Some bloke fishing near me (having no luck on bait) offered me some cooked prawn for bait. First cast, little Whiting, second cast, a small Bream, followed by a couple more little Bream. He got nuffink (apart from a toady). What's the etiquette there?;) Also caught half a fishing rod and reel, just JW stuff, so in the bin it went, complete with barnacles!!! Having a sesh on bait tomorrow, then back to lures next week......

MoparKevUk wrote:

Another fruitless 2 hrs today. Disapponited not to catch anything with me switchblade, but I was so scared of snagging it, perhaps I was a bit rapid on the retrieve! Tried SBs and HBs, poppers and the others. Some bloke fishing near me (having no luck on bait) offered me some cooked prawn for bait. First cast, little Whiting, second cast, a small Bream, followed by a couple more little Bream. He got nuffink (apart from a toady). What's the etiquette there?;) Also caught half a fishing rod and reel, just JW stuff, so in the bin it went, complete with barnacles!!! Having a sesh on bait tomorrow, then back to lures next week......

prolly no fish in that river, its fullly poo poo..

Dan

From top to bottom there Hulk, looks like you got:

A medium sized popper - bit large for bream, maybe good for bass in upper reaches of estuaries?

A shallow diving minnow - probably good for flathead over sand flats on edge of a drop off, maybe an ambitous bream, or perhaps a jack around snags in shallower water?

A small fizzer or maybe walk the dog style lure? - Surface lure, good for bream, bass.

A small popper - good for bream & bass.

Hope that helps a bit mate, but as I said, I only use lures in the fresh, so someone may have a better idea on estuarine species to target with these.

Edit: Just seen second picture, looks like you got a couple of metal spoons & a metal slug, alright to chase tailor with these. And in the middle of these, looks like there's another medium sized walk the dog style lure, good for bass.

Kev

I didn't know the lure just bought it at a good price.I understand what is meant by walking the dog style

Yes was emotional. This fat fella found his groove once I realised I was on:woohoo: .Probably more shocked than anything as I was retrieving near mangroves then it struck.

If you aren't having luck with the lures and still want strikes, why not take a couple of rods, sit some baited up in rod holder and keep an eye on them whilst you are flicking.If you got the right hooks and baited well, the fish should take it and at least you may have something to show for your troubles if the sps or hbs fail to get the desired result.

Hulk

Kev, not really sure myself, I take my dog for a walk on a leash...

I've never used one, but what I've gathered from people here is a "walk the dog" style lure is a surface lure that has no action of it's own, relying on the angler to impart all the action on the lure. Apparently you do this by twitching the rod tip side to side, making the lure swim side to side.

MoparKevUk wrote:

Where are you going kev? I could be up for a fish tomorrow;)

Jayson

Sorry, Jayson, didn't see your post.

Went to Tingalpa with me Pommy mate, Scott. He was casting in the middle etc. I was casting along the bank. Total score: Kev 9 Bream, Scott 2 Bream. Suggested before we got there a Dollar a Fish Comp, but seeing as he just quit his job, he declined:( Nice getting out with mullet gut, bread, prawns, bacon rind, cheese twisties, just to get a few fish caught. Will be back on the HBs/SPs/Poppers/Switchblade next week.........

As an aside, Scott has these monster 8ft Shimano telescopic rods. When I first had my 6ft JW combo (my first ever rod 3 months ago) I coveted his big tackle!!! Now after all the help and advice here I have a Berkley Dropshot 2-4kg and Pflueger reel that is my favourite, as well as my original JW rod and Daiwa Spinfire, great with bait. If I do ever go beach fishing I'll get a giant JW rod and reel from Kmart ($50, less the 25% in the sale!!). Love me light gear, the fish feel so big!!!!

Sorry for wittering, just trying to say how much I enjoy fishing, Australia, and this Forum!!! Rock on!!

• 2 weeks later...

Reading up in the fishing magazines will give you many good pointers, but remember most of them are sponsored by companies to use their product range.

Also try get your hands on the dvd's of these companies. The latest squidgy video is quite good, explaining several techniques and making you itch to buy much more tackle!

Very basically you keep trying different techniques till you get it right on the day. More importantly you have to present your lure where the fish are. All seems so easy.......

If you do crack it, let me know! :)

I went to the library today and found a ripper book for lures.

It is called "the book of lures" by Ron Calcutt And Tim Simpson.I haven't read much yet but has heaps of useful photos and descriptions.Soon to be my Fishing Bible. Thought some of the other forumites with limited knowledge on lure fishing may find this book useful too.

Regards

Hulk

Archived