Whitsunday fishing spots.

fishinking

i have already posted a thread about what gear to use in the whitsundays and am now wondering if anyone has some advice on where to fish (reef names or gps coordinates would be great) any spots with any fishing style is great as we will be jigging, popping, trolling, live baitting, soft plastics and bottom bashing with dead baits.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nathan

u could have probably summed up all your needed info in the one post as i've said some of this before... mentioned one good spot here http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum?func=view&catid=3&id=186701&limit=20&start=20#187100

if u are really keen buy a book called "100 Magic Miles" which is as good as one can get for info and how to travel about the place in a boat. i'd almost say that you'd be silly to go without it for the first few times.

every island is surrounded by fringing reef from 20 to over 200m wide. at every anchorage (besides green zones anchorages) u can drop flesh bait down for reef fish.

troll everywhere u go.

Hook Passage and off the northern end of Hook island (near hayman) is good for pelagics

all spots are good for bait fishing in anyway u like to do it!!!

our experience was:

Cid Harbour, Nari's Beach: sharks, reefies, a popper eating coral trout and my biggest morwong on sp's and bait

Ross Islet in Cid Channel and a small cove we named 'trevally ally': coral trout, million stripeys, trevs and about a 2kg golden trev all caught on r2s bubblepop 88's

Gulnare Inlet: shallow estuary reef fish sp's sx40's

Stonehaven Anchorage: reef trolling sx40's and tuna spun up

Just South of the Langford Island Bird Reef Green Zone: scad mackerel by the gazillions and tuna on metal slugs

Hill Inlet: super shallow sand bottom sp's and sx40's clean up here

Fitzellan passage to Crayfish and Turtle Bay: tuna tuna tuna tuna tuna tuna tuna .. night time trevally, piles of squid and heaps of sharks. we were visitied by a hammerhead here

Nara Inlet: our fishing actually sucked in here. beautiful spot tho

Macona Inlet: also sucked for us but we caught pike and floated them out live. not even a shark took the offer

Apostle Bay: lotsa small reef fish once again on trolled sx40's from the tender

thats all that comes to mind from now. i'd get u all the google map links but i'm feeling pretty lazy. gives a chance to become familiar with it as i've used all proper names ;)

Archived