NPD Inflatable Boats Ok???

EMP

I've come across a few inflatables on the net. Is this a good option trolling at the dam? I'm worried about punctures and having to swim in the cold water. :P

This type of boat doesn't seem to be very popular among AFO'ers judging by the lone thread dedicated to it. I only found this one single thread: http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum?func=showcat&catid=63 .

Any input would be appreciated. :)

EMP :P

IMO Their not ideal for fishing, but theirs nothing stopping you fishing out of it, If you plan to use inflate it then deflate it after each use then invest in a good pump but its easier to keep them inflated, The more modern ones are pretty puncture resistant but accidents can happen, If your carefull you shouldnt have too many dramas.

hi there emp guess what i have a inflatable you can try out if you like it will take up to about 2hp i about 6ft long and i can carry it with one hand yet it would almost float my car .i use it for dropping out shark baits you would be doing very well to puncture it as its very tick skined .however it inflates through a car type valve so inflating it each time could chew some real time

The better ones have multiple chambers so you would have not have to swim if you are unlucky enough to get a severe puncture.

The bass and yellas and tandanus all have spikes that hhave the potential to puncture the hull but if you are carefull they shouldnt be a worry.

The other thing to consider is their windage ie how hard they are to paddle in a stiff breeze.

The dam itself doesnt have much structure to worry the hull.

Cheers

Ray

O- Oh, the EMP guy is seeing heaven.

What about the motor? Are leccys suitable for inflatables?

And transport? If I understood it correctly, it could be deflated to fit in one's wallet? I mean, one's car boot. lol

EMP

PS You guys are awesome. Thanks.

my inflatable would be painfull to be used conventially ie in and out of a boot as the inflator valve is too small

id have to say that a canoe or small tinny would be better than an inflatable for most npd situations the set up time would be a pain in the rear even canoes can be a pain as you have to set it all up each time great till the novelty wears off

a small tinny gives you more room to move but a bigger one even an old piece of crap like mine with casting decks means you can walk around and stretch out have a pee over the side etc

all the above craft will run with either leckie or petrol motors

i guess it comes down to

A place for storage

B budget

C how many kids

if you like ill meet you at npd with a spare leckie /inflatable /canoe with out rigger/big tinny if you bring your permit stickers attached to something we can tie them on to each one and you can go for your life and get a feel of some before you buy something that doesnt do what you want

jason

faulked wrote:

my inflatable would be painfull to be used conventially ie in and out of a boot as the inflator valve is too small

id have to say that a canoe or small tinny would be better than an inflatable for most npd situations the set up time would be a pain in the rear even canoes can be a pain as you have to set it all up each time great till the novelty wears off

a small tinny gives you more room to move but a bigger one even an old piece of crap like mine with casting decks means you can walk around and stretch out have a pee over the side etc

all the above craft will run with either leckie or petrol motors

i guess it comes down to

A place for storage

B budget

C how many kids

if you like ill meet you at npd with a spare leckie /inflatable /canoe with out rigger/big tinny if you bring your permit stickers attached to something we can tie them on to each one and you can go for your life and get a feel of some before you buy something that doesnt do what you want

jason

Jayz, thanks heaps. I do hope to get some more days off in the coming weeks and take on your offer.

About inflating the boat, I'm surfing the net of the best way to go about it.

bootyinblue wrote:

Can someone please dig up the picture of an un named moderator in his inflatable boat??

You know the one of Brian.....LOL

Hey Greg, Brian didn't catch his boat with a lure, did he?

Nothing to do with the price of eggs but the most outlandish boat seen on the water last time we had BAS was a fold a boat with 5 people in it. It used to have about 5cm of freeboard, they then changed to a 15ft boat so they could take more. I would recomend you save your money and buy a good secondhand tinny then add the other bits as you can afford them. Or look for a good second hand elec and borrow the AFO boat, this could go on a cheap box trailer. etc etc

Hey mate, before I got my canoe I started my fishing adventures with a $250 inflatable yak from BCF. After about 20 trips it got a puncture in the end from me losing a flatty on the floor whilst trying to take a photo but the big ring round the outside still works and the only reason I stopped using it was because I got sick of going on my own.. It was a great way to get on the water fast as my canoe was round $900 and would take awhile to save for. I got heaps of fish in my blow up yak though. Just:

A: Take as little amount of stuff with you as possible.

B. Tire the fish out as much as possible before bringing them aboard and make sure they are either in a net or have a set of jaw grips in their mouth so they dont get away from you.

A tinny or a proper yak or canoe is definately a better option though. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/GC_Canal_Croc_2_AFO-0f83458f546fe443cac413a7635b35d6.jpg

post-5149-144598495492_thumb.jpg

Ho EMP, I had an English BEAUFORT inflatable 8feet pram dinghy for years before I very gladdly swapped it for a SAVAGE 10 feet punt which I used on the NPD during the first 5 years with a 36lb MinKota. Sometimes I carried a deckie and as Dino And Ray will tell you it was the fastest tub on the lake and it really new how to catch fish. Don't waste your cash on a puffer, get a little tinny. :cheer:

My mate Romeo has done many adventure on Big W fishing from inflatables bought from Big W. I was trying to find one of my reports with piccies in it but the search function still doesn't work (I can't return a single post no matter what I search for). I certainly wouldn't recommend it for the size of the trips Romeo did! Mind you these were the cheap suckers. You can get a higher quality inflatable boat from BCF, but I think they are around a grand and you could probably get a second hand punt for that.

what about this! a jet ski that has a stuffed motor, plenty of room for a battery or 4 where the motor was, can get a glasser to mould something for the leccy bracket, plenty of storage on em too, stable, the list is long! now your really confused ay?

rob

Keep your eye open I picked up a 8 foot zodic with a soft transom for a hundred bucks spent the day with the young feller and about fiddy dollars on ply and glue for new transom and hey presto a like new zodic then put the 54lb water snake lecky on it and goes like a bought one and I can throw it on the camper

Thanks everyone.

Rob is right. I'm more confused than ever.

But what about a CANOE?

I just need something light as to be a cartopper but can accommodate at least 2 persons. And something a lecky could push.

Life's so complicated at times.

EMP :(:(:(

Feral wrote:

Emp, I reckon all of the above are on the cards, just grab which ever comes your way first!

Thanks to those who gave me their thoughts. I really do appreciate it. :)

After hours and hours of endless surfing and uncertainty, I'm getting a second hand Feel Free Gemini for 600-something bucks. I reckon it's got space for myself and another person (maybe my wife or my little kid) and light enough for one person at 26kgs. AND I thought it was cheap enough so that I could still buy accessories and whathavya.

Next thing I plan on doing is getting an electric motor to push the thing around NPD.

Thanks again to all. :)

EMP

Shrimpo wrote:

that seems a good deal for $600.

If I had the money, Shrimpo mate, I would have gotten myself a Tempo but you know, resources tend to get scarce when you're not the boss. :P

I'm just happy that I've taken the first step.

EMP

Archived