SP worms

Gad

I mainly fish with live yabbies,prawns,herring etc,or throw HB`s around.

Today curiosity,saw me buy a couple of packets of gulps sandworms&squidgies worms.

Question..would I use these in the same way as live worms, eg in beach fishing casting out and letting the light surf and wave action do the work,with a slow wind in,or would I need to put a bit more thought into my action.

cheers

Gad

many techniques used for the worm, ill try to name a few,

I know some in here are pretty good with bream and the cut down worm which i dont use too succesfully.

so my techniques are - OPTIONAL-- cut 1 cm off worm tail (berkely)

Basic lift and drop worked at slow retreive will produce, flatty trev and bream ect ect,

slight jiggle and dead stick or little hops then dead stick will entice timid bream hits and other fish

and my personal fav, the hard flick then let drop to imitate a worm being attacked by a fish worked in mid water,around the bottom or close to structure.

as for surf I have never done it, but I would try some initial movement to get the fishes attention, as they often hit it on the drop or when it slows down or stops moving.

well thats what I do anyway,

BTW. my favourite colors are bloodworm red, nuke chook and Camo.

good luck

i got gulp saltwater ,the like sand works from the surf but shorter.

got them off my brother ,he reckons there no good ,but he is a bait and live bait guy.

i have cut them in 1/2 put them on a hook and let it drift about ,they got hits but didn't hook up.only tried them a few times and didn't try real hard ,like i said just left it drift around in the current.i reckon they way the look and smell u can get away with using them like bait.

they look the part so will try them again sometime.

If I was fishing with them in the surf I would just keep in contact with the lure and let the waves move it around. In rivers and estury just let em hit the bottom and two quick flicks, but I have used wrigglers,shrimps,atomics prongs and the worms, but I have never had much luck with the worms, but i reckon big whiting and bream would take them, and I know form a friend that flatehad take down well to. ANd then iknow peopel who lve them and they r the only plastics they buy, personal preferrence.

Thx

PLUGGa

My mrs got her first sp catch on a berkley worm.

The trick is not to have too much hang off the end of the jig/hook. Otherwise a fish will drop it as soon as it feels something weighing it down. Just enough worm for a fish to suck it down.

For action I just let line out and let it roll with the current.

Thanks for the replies guys.

As I enjoy my beach/surf fishing I thought I would give these a try,next time I go.

I usually collect 3or 4 different baits when going fishing,after pumping yabbies and beach worming and sometimes collecting some pippies,the aging back doesn`t always enjoy the fishing that follows.

cheers

Gad

Gad wrote:

I mainly fish with live yabbies,prawns,herring etc,or throw HB`s around.

Today curiosity,saw me buy a couple of packets of gulps sandworms&squidgies worms.

Question..would I use these in the same way as live worms, eg in beach fishing casting out and letting the light surf and wave action do the work,with a slow wind in,or would I need to put a bit more thought into my action.

cheers

Gad

I have had good success with GULP sandworms ij the surf for bream, dart and even whiting. I have often had to cut them down to half size though for a better hook up rate.

Angus

For a better hook up rate on the worm I work a little bit of 8lb line off the eye of the hook or jighead and tie a tiny size 10 or 12 fly hook and insert the hook into the tail of the worm so when that big breambo has a crack at the tail he finds he has a nice little hook caught in his mouth. I find it gives the worm a good little action too. I then slowly retrieve it in giving it light little lifts and letting it drop. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Fosh n Chops wrote:

I then slowly retrieve it in giving it light little lifts and letting it drop. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thats my bait beach flathead fishing style,with a 60cm trace,3/4 ball sinker sitting on the swivel,as you slowly retrieve, the sinker stirs up the sand,and hello mr flattie

cheers

Gad wrote:

Fosh n Chops wrote:
I then slowly retrieve it in giving it light little lifts and letting it drop. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thats my bait beach flathead fishing style,with a 60cm trace,3/4 ball sinker sitting on the swivel,as you slowly retrieve, the sinker stirs up the sand,and hello mr flattie

cheers

Also works great on the bream too, using the worm with the extra hook in it and slowly teasing it in... it has never lit me down. Give it a go on the camo worms.

Archived