somewhere in the river

kermy79

well after spending days reading about others catching fish, and me bro not keen to get out, ie his better half having other ideas lol, decided to head up to the local tackle shop, thanx for the info there to those who supplied it, bought a couple of handlines and a lil tackle, as just moving up here moneys a lil tight atm

then was off to woolies to get some bread and cooked prawns, donno if many pplz use cooked prawns up here but back home they were always the bait of choice by alot of the locals, plus they are generally cheaper then the bait prawns u get most places

so geared up old school style, had bait, time to find somewhere to fish, quick suss out of google maps and decided to walk down past the cemetery, duton park or something, next to annerley anyways and followed the river up, or is it down river i donno, past some rowing club and found a nice little quiet area kinda half hidden

anyways threw in a bit of bread on a hook, and got a lil interest on that but nothing wanting to take the hook so on goes a bit of prawn and within 10mins of being here land a nice little bream

09082009001.jpg

incase you wondering why i have my foot/shoe in photo lol i dont have a measuring device other then that and i know my shoe is just a lil over 30cms

anyways unhooked him, put him back to fight another day and thought well might have a nice lil spot here, so back in with some more prawn, and again something showing interest within 5 mins, knew it wasnt a fishy though after hookin it

09082009003.jpg

some sort of eel i do believe, he got the added bonus of keeping me hook, lucky fella

next hook up if you could call it that reminded me very much of fishing in stockton near the ferry wharf cept this time it was a lil muddy not a blue swimmer, he was a die hard though, wouldnt let go of my line till i got the phone out to take his picture, he wasnt up for that so no piccie :( rought esties i reckon he woulda been about 15 cms accross the shell

anyways went a lil quiet for about an hour then got these next 2 just as the sun started heading to bed for the night

09082009004.jpg

09082009005.jpg

by now the sun was getting low and the tide was getting even lower, so decided to call it a night and save the rest of the fishies for another day

i did let them all go to fight another day, and all in all was happy to have caught a few fishies in the couple of hours i was there, and also had a chat with a local guy walking his dogs as i packed up and he suggested a few other spots up near the cemetery that i might go and suss out tomorrow depending on what is on the cards

anyways hope you all had a great weekend, whateva it involved 09082009001.jpg

as much fun as it is fishing with handlines, still keen to actually head back to newie and bring up me rods etc, but in the mean time is fun and better then not fishing lol

also got one hand line which is spooled with 20lb to try for something a lil bigger, would be interesting getting something of size on that, spose if i did hook up on that the years of fishing with an alvey might come into play, but i am guessing letting something run on a handline might be a lil more painful then an alvey that isnt wet down lol

speakin of handlines with heavy line, me bro has one he named cod death, it was spooled with 100lb line and well if you cant guess he use to use it to catch cod, caught a few biggies on it in its day, but they redeveloped where he use to fish cod and hasnt had a bite since at that location

Archived