Need info on drawbar extentions

Gad

Hi All,

I`m hoping to aquire and modify a frame for a box trailer to cart a couple of kayaks around on.My plan is also to make a removable 700mm drawbar extention.

Will this extention require transport department approval and inspection,and would this affect my insurance cover.

cheers Gad

thanks Scope that was my thinking but I thought I would throw it out there,

where insurance cover concerned I`m guessing its like putting a towbar/bullbar on a car,ring them and have it added on the car policy as a sometime used extra/modification.

cheers

Gad I extended the draw bar of my camper by 2 feet simply by clamping a length of 50mil X 3mil wall thickness rhs to the existing draw bar. I needed the extra length to allow me to mount the fridge in front of the luggage locker on the front.

I took it from under the front of the camper and used 8 U bolts and plates to attach it.

This mod also lowered the tow ball connector by 50 mil which helped as the trailer previously traveled in a nose down position.

I did not weld it in place as when I sell the camper I possibly will just remove the extension.I also left the safety chain in place and had to extend the lead for the lights.

I dont think that I really needed 8 U bolts but I already had them.

Strictly speaking Main Roads should be notified as you are altering the length of the trailer and they will want a full re-measurement of the trailer done.

If you are going to do the same type of mod as mine I would simply tell them that you have replaced the draw bar with a longer one.

I did not notify anyone that I have modded mine. but the decision is up to you.

Cheers

Ray P3300164_AFO.jpg

oops didnt read your post correctly.

Are you only going to extend the draw bar when carrying the yaks?

Is the trailer frame that you are getting already registered?

If you are only going to extend it to carry the yaks and you tell Main Roads of this they will possibly require an engineers report.

If its unregistered I would just measure it up with the draw bar extension in place.

If its already registered it may be that one of the previous owners has modified it ( Wink wink)

There are some boat trailers with folding draw bars so that the owners can fit them into their garages but I do not know how they do it and what they tell main roads ( If at all)

Cheers

Ray

thanks Ray... yes the extention will only be used when carting the kayaks around,my plan is to do a similar job as you have done with your camper,I will be using existing hitch holes and a central hole further back on the frame.

Yes the trailer is registered. :)

cheers Gad

Archived