The gods of fishing smile on your birthday

hunter armytage

Woke up bright and early on Saturday morning and headed of to the mouth of the river armed with some live prawns caught the night before and a bag of service station pilchards. I was hoping to break the recent run of nothing but undersized squire and frustration by the bucket load that has been my usuall catch lately.

I arrived at the mouth at around 4:30 am and after castnetting for 15 mins I had enough herring to keep the prawns company, I anchor up and out go the livies.

At around 5:30 I am awoken from my slumber by the graet sound of the drag going off and one of the rods bent over.

After a brief tussel up pops my first decent fish in ages, out goes the landing net and in comes my jewie after getting him in I remove the hook which was only just still in the corner off his lip.

Well I am over the moon and after a few photos and some rather dubious measuring with a piece of anchor rope I send him back on his way with the only thing I can think of to include some perspective in the photo being my foot. The reason I have to use a piece of rope is the result of only having a rule on the side of the boat and it only being 50 cm long. This is a right pain the backside if and of the 3 following things happen.

1 you catch a fish over 50 cm

2 you are by yourself

3 you want to get a photo of the fish against the rule

Any way I ring my girlfriend to tell her the news and would you believe that at 5:30 in the morning she does not share my enthusiasm.

After another 20 mins or so my rod with a 3500 baitrunner goes off and quick as flash I flick the lever that engages the second drag and twang , ahh some idiot ( me )left the drag set on full when he was getting it off a snag half an hour ago.

Well whatever it was snapped 30lb braid like it was dental floss.

So I am re rigging that rod when the other rod bends over and after the first couple of head shakes I am pretty sure its another jew but dont want to get too excited untill it in the net.

About 5 mins later my 2nd jew of the morning is in the boat and now I am super happy , but this time resist the urge to call the girlfriend and share the news after the recption i got last time. this one measures around the 75 cm marks and few happy snaps later and off he goes back in the drink.

The sun is now up and I start to think about heading home when something takes a liking to the live prwan, and in comes this nice little flattie at 49 cm ( in the photo you can see what i have to do to try and get the fish against the rule and get a photo at the same time)

I am not after a feed today so he goes back to river for another day .

Lastly the usuall suspects start showing up so after catching the first ray and having to cut him of and re rig i decide to call it a day and head home, I think this was all down to the fishing gods giving me break on saturday as it was my birthday and maybe me just getting out of bed a bit earlier.

Ps will try to attach the pics

Archived