unexspected and worring catch

madmullet

blair and i were throwing the cast net around getting full net of herring which was awsom as i needed to stock up the freezer.

post-8878-144598581489_thumb.jpg

on of the casts brought up a very unexspected catch 1km from the mouth of the river.

post-8878-1445985815_thumb.jpg

a talapia in salt water... i no their was alot of fresh in the system but dammmmm. just amagine is these pest actually lived sucsessfully in salt. it would be a desarster. can someone tell me wheater they can live in salt sucsessfully. thanks kurt

I have actually read an interesting paper on this.

Tilapia can tolerate an extremely high level of salinity. Its been ages since I read it so i wont quote made up figures, but they can basically swim in the Brisbane River pre flood anyway.

So yeah the problem faced here is that in a system like the Brisbane River, once the little buggers get into any of the little creeks that feed it (Oxley, Bulimba, Norman etc) they can theoretically get anywhere else in the system.

I guess this is not at all surprising as there is not actually a tributory of the Brisbane River I can think of that has not had at least suspected Tilapia catches in it...

Angus

A quick google search and found this:

It was also found that Tilapia, though its trapping in rivers north of Cairns indicated that at the time it was possibly extending its range into its preferred water temperature ranges, and that it had a great capacity for tolerating a wide range of salinity levels.

Lets hope the dumping of all the fresh from Wivenhoe didn't contribute and this is an isolated incident.

Tilapia are Cichlid's ,lots of different varieties of cichlids are kept in fish tanks.

it pretty common for people to salt there fish tank ,treats white spot .

so fish in tanks handle low salt levels ok,so be no different in the wild .

/>http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_16290.htm

have a read of that page .

Hey Guys

Yeah i used to keep lots of african chichlids in my old 4 foot tank, the water although fresh, is then treated with salts to increase salinity, they actually thrive in it although maybe not really high levels of salt

None the less when will people learn, don't flush em down the toilet !!!!

Hey Guys

Yeah i used to keep lots of african chichlids in my old 4 foot tank, the water although fresh, is then treated with salts to increase salinity, they actually thrive in it although maybe not really high levels of salt

None the less when will people learn, don't flush em down the toilet !!!!

yeah the salt level is not that high compared with salt water. I do think they can stand quite a high salinity though.

Tilapia Oreochromis mossambicus can survive for a considerable time in saltwater 35 ppt +

certainly long enough to find their way to lesser salinity before any ill effects of cell diffusion or osmosis occur. The latest flood event would have spread them into every stream in SEQ, DEEDI are well aware of this. There are several populations which were living and breeding in brackish lakes < 15ppt before the flood event.

The Tilapia species in NQ which is being caught in saltwater is Tilapia mariae the Mangrove Cichlid these also occur in SEQ.

Archived