peel report 8/4

madmullet

nathanquigley, chris and i headed over to peel in apaling conditions friday arvo. with a 15-20knt southerly blowing and an incoming tide in was quite sloppy going over averaging .6-1.2m chop.

we first hit my bait grounds to get some pike for the nights fish and moved just of it a got into some small squire.

once that sun went down we moved to the nth-east tip of peel and anchored up with the bow of the boat in 11ft and the transom in 17ft, so perfactly on the drop off.we started fishin using pillies, squid, herring and pike as bait and straight away started getting small squire. At all times i had my 950spinfisher spooled with 50lb brail matched with a 24kg jigman rod with either a whole or half a pike out. About 1.5hrs after the sun went down i got my first zzzzzzzzzz out of the reel. I flicked the bail arm open and slowly done the drag up while giving the fish line. Waited about 15 secs and then lent back on the rod and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, ping, got bricked and busted of. So i re rigged and put my line back in the water. Next this chris says i am on and it feels nice. So i got the landing net read and 50-60secs later up comes a very feisty dusky whaler with some aerial displays. We netted it, docked tis tail and put it on ice. We kept on geting small squire and sweetlip for the next 30mins or so when my reel went zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz zzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, so i pick it up flipped the bail arm over did the drag up and lent back, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,ping once again got bricked. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr not again. I had just finished re-riging it up and threw in back out, when my 3500kix went zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, i tightened the drag and lent back and i was on, this time what ever took this, decided it liked a big herring head.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and on and on it went. I was standing their helpless watching all my 25lb braid disappear. I ended up tightening the drag up and poping the fish of as it would have spooled me if i didn’t.the rest of the night consisted of small squire, sweetlip, moses pearch, 7 small duskies,3 good squid and 2 45cm squire. Despite all the rain and the not so pleasant conditions, i think we did just fine. Tipical, you always get bricked by the big ones. Cheers for coming along guys, we will get out and do it again. Cheers kurt

post-8878-144598599236_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598599246_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598599259_thumb.jpg

post-8878-14459859927_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598599276_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598599289_thumb.jpg

i was out in the middle of the bay friday arvo, sloppy as hell out there, gotta be mad i reckon, i was gettin breaking waves over the front of the boat at anchor, but stuck it out for a lil while until i got fish, then high tailed it home for a feed. looked like it was p!ssin down around peel . :lol:

Archived