prawning report 11/4

madmullet

decided to do something a little differant when taking the boat out. i decided to go prawning down the logan river sunday so i went to bcf and baught 10ft top pocket and a 9ft top pocket cast net. my mate jamie, his misses, my misses and i headed out around 2.00. we got to my fisrt spot and afer 20 cast each only got 25 or so so we moved on and started casting, and jamies net just hit the bottom and did his first tug to get the prawn into the top of the net and his rope gare way and went slack... he pulled the rope up and the bindings had given way... beepen beep beep beep. i carried on and on. tipical bcf crap.

anyway i continued casting and managed to get my net stuck in 27ft of water and riped the guts out of it....

well did i chuck a tanti:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: not only did one net get lost but destroyed the other... so what we have hear is

$139.00 = 10ft cast net

$100.00 = 9ft cast net

$40 = fuel for boat

$40 = fuel for car

=$319 for this

post-8878-144598599336_thumb.jpg

1/4 bucket of prawn... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:angry: :angry: :angry:

Thats harsh mate, but on the plus side......um, I don't know :S

27 foot of water, I presume use where casting around Marks rocks area, if you head back up river past the first island towards the next island that has the green beacon on the side its worth netting around there for prawns and across to the mangroves where the old jetty is. But I'm gonna guess that you wont be doing it any time sone.

read somewhere recently someone bought a bcf net and it gave way on the first use - they went back to the store they bought it at and got a replacement/refund. sorry, can't remember were i read it, but worth a try as it seems to be a fault of the nets they are carrying?

don't think they will replace the ripped one though :S

i throw a $300 custom made net when chasing prawns and it hurts when you start to feel it rip as you retrieve it. you quickly learn where to cast and where not to cast!

marty

i throw a $300 custom made net when chasing prawns and it hurts when you start to feel it rip as you retrieve it. you quickly learn where to cast and where not to cast!

marty

is that the one stan makes? i got one from a guy called rob once upon a time but can't find him anymore, if they are (stan's) how do they fare?

marty

is that the one stan makes? i got one from a guy called rob once upon a time but can't find him anymore, if they are (stan's) how do they fare?

Spot on Eug - it is one of Stan's nets. They are very good, especially the chain ones. They are easy to throw and spread well. He has a very good name among the local prawn fraternity with plenty of people using his nets. He is quick to make them and they are good quality with plenty of rope as standard.

It is a lot of money to pay for a net, but if you get out a few times each season and get your limit it quickly pays for itself.

Marty

Thats harsh mate, but on the plus side......um, I don't know :S

27 foot of water, I presume use where casting around Marks rocks area, if you head back up river past the first island towards the next island that has the green beacon on the side its worth netting around there for prawns and across to the mangroves where the old jetty is. But I'm gonna guess that you wont be doing it any time sone.

cool, yeh just baught another net, so might hit it one arvo this week

Always a good idea to have an old net along with your new one when you first start prawning. If you don't know an area, use the old one. Pretty soon you'll know rxactly where every single snag is and you can use your good one.

true, well i thort i new the area, but floods must have dumped logs and uncovered other stuff

First time i went to Marks Rocks ,i anchored up just up current from another Boat ,, after five minutes or so i decided i was a bit close to the other Boat so i went to pull up the anchor and moove ,,,, The anchor was stuck on something ,, after a bit of panick i decided try and reverse back up currant away from the anchor ,, finally after a 5 minuts struggle up comes the anchor ,,,and about 10 foot of tree ,, it was about 80 mm round and covered in Barnicles ,, which i managed to cut myself on when seperating it from the anchor ..i have seen a lot of people cast netting down the Logan ,, i guess its a case of knowing exactly where the snags are or being lucky not to hook up on them ,,i think a lot cast net around the islands out front of the Logan

Archived