sigh :( boats cost to much money )

madmullet

will got up this morning and decided to have a look over the boat seeing that i hadnt been out in it or touched it for nearly 4 weeks ( which is a very very long time for me ) big drought, anyway, first things first a quick wind over of the moter, went to fire straight away, awsom, all lights are working, sweet, turn the steering wheel, wrong, crap frozen, hmmmmmm, i jumped out of the boat and went to turn it via the moter, nope couldnt evan budge it. so i called the misses down to give me a hand. we started heaving and still nothing. grrrrrrrrrr :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: .hmmmmmm. got the greese gun and pumped it with greese and then tried again, nope nothing. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: . a guy way walking past and i stoped him and asked if he could give me a hand with the motor.

so he and old mate got on the motor and ash on the steering wheel and heave..... BANG, i look up and the steering wheel spins 1/2 a turn then ingages, grrrrrr :angry::angry::angry::angry: . so not only have i got a siezed steering rod and need to replace my steering wheel assembley, I CANT GO FISHING IN THE BOAT THIS WEEKEND, grrrrrrrrrrrrr :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:. bloody boats and them being money pits. ok i lube the shaft after cleaning the boat and do greese checks once ever 1-1.5 months..........

any surgestions people of how to free this and prevent this from happening again.

cheers kurt

not sure if it will be that expensive. I changed my steering on my boat and it ran out under $250. One question are you suppose to use grease on the cable? I think it needs to be a really fine oil. I hear your pain Kurt. It is possibly something you could fix yourself if it is anything like mine and that way you could be out on the water this weekend. good luck

not sure if it will be that expensive. I changed my steering on my boat and it ran out under $250. One question are you suppose to use grease on the cable? I think it needs to be a really fine oil. I hear your pain Kurt. It is possibly something you could fix yourself if it is anything like mine and that way you could be out on the water this weekend. good luck

i dont greese the cable

i dont greese the cable

Thats cool mate. When I bought my boat that was the reason I needed to change mine as the previous owner had greased it. Doh.

See if you can find a product at your local engineers or bold supplies call Yield, it's put out by Chemsearch.

It will free up anything, just take the grease nipple out and see of you can force some into the hole. I use it on frozen pins and the like and it works a treat. Sometimes you have to do it for a couple of days and give it a spray 2 or 3 times a day but it will come...failing that maybe a little heat on the tube, not enough to burn the paint but just to take the chill off it and while its warm jam some of that Yield in there too.

Good luck and congrats on getting married.

Sounds like the inner core of the streering cable has rusted and siezed.

You will need to replace the cable which are not real expensive at all and quite an easy job to do.

You can fill the cabe with hydraulic oil before fitting the new one but its a slow and painful job.

As for the steering helm most of the smaller type helms use nylon cogs so forcing the motor around may have stripped the cog and the helm will need replacing as well.

Most cables sieze from lack of use or the outer casing cracks and allows water to penetrate at any bends in the cables.

Nothing can be done to fix the problem that is 100% safe when on the water except total replacement with new parts.

A standard helm and cable will not cost a lot at all.

You will need to remove the old cable to get the length measurement so you can buy a new one the same length.

Look at Teleflex cabes as I think they are one the best and very reliable.

See if you can find a product at your local engineers or bold supplies call Yield, it's put out by Chemsearch.

It will free up anything, just take the grease nipple out and see of you can force some into the hole. I use it on frozen pins and the like and it works a treat. Sometimes you have to do it for a couple of days and give it a spray 2 or 3 times a day but it will come...failing that maybe a little heat on the tube, not enough to burn the paint but just to take the chill off it and while its warm jam some of that Yield in there too.

Good luck and congrats on getting married.

i will try and track some down, thanks heaps on the wishes

Sounds like the inner core of the streering cable has rusted and siezed.

You will need to replace the cable which are not real expensive at all and quite an easy job to do.

You can fill the cabe with hydraulic oil before fitting the new one but its a slow and painful job.

As for the steering helm most of the smaller type helms use nylon cogs so forcing the motor around may have stripped the cog and the helm will need replacing as well.

Most cables sieze from lack of use or the outer casing cracks and allows water to penetrate at any bends in the cables.

Nothing can be done to fix the problem that is 100% safe when on the water except total replacement with new parts.

A standard helm and cable will not cost a lot at all.

You will need to remove the old cable to get the length measurement so you can buy a new one the same length.

Look at Teleflex cabes as I think they are one the best and very reliable.

hmmmmmmmm thanks heaps

I got sick of dealing with this also and upgraded to hydrolic it wasnt a cheap venture but worth every cent.

what sort of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

about $1400 mate

:pinch: :pinch: :blink::blink: :ohmy: :ohmy:

cough, choke, gasp. well i just picked myself of the floor.

well their goes the boat for afew weeks

Archived