corosion on spool....

madmullet

when ash and i were out in the bay on sunday, i was floating at mack tuna out on my tld50lrsa spooled with 80lb brail and when i go to around 100m out i noticed a lump on the left hand side of the reel under the braid so i let it go aout about another 50-80m and noticed a black and white lump on the spool.

when i got home i proceeded to clean my reels as per usual which consisted of taking the 50m of leader of and then lightly bathing it, ( not drowning or hosing ) with warm water then rinsing it off once again.

once that was done i went upstairs and got a drill and an old spool and took all the line of the reel, and this is what greated me...

your thorts please on whether their was an inperfection on the anadising or in the casting of the spool resulting in the anadising coating on the spool not covering the inperfections in the spool....

smaller holes and larger holes....

and do you think its worth while getting a hold of shimano as the reel is 8mths old

post-8878-144598650989_thumb.jpg

post-8878-1445986510_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598651009_thumb.jpg

A couple of things must be going on for this to occur :

1. The anodised coating is failing

2. Aluminium doesn't usually suffer significant corrosion unless you have dissimilar metal electrolysis occuring

3. The fact that you have both pin-holing and a singular, larger corrosion point may point to an annealing problem with spool alloy (which will cause intergranular differences in the alloy - effectively creating zones of dissimilar metal within the alloy) OR may be a sign that the anticorrosion coat applied prior to anodising has failed. Neither are easy to assess without electron-microscopy or, possibly, Auger-SEM analysis. The other possibility is that the spool has been exposed to a strong acid spray (typically something with some fluoride in it - like an Al/Mag cleaner) or concentrated caustic spray (above pH 11.5).

If you think the problem is inherent in the spool - return to manufacturer. But they will probably ask how the reel has been stored, etc.

2. Aluminium doesn't usually suffer significant corrosion unless you have dissimilar metal electrolysis occuring

3. The fact that you have both pin-holing and a singular, larger corrosion point may point to an annealing problem with spool alloy (which will cause intergranular differences in the alloy - effectively creating zones of dissimilar metal within the alloy) OR may be a sign that the anticorrosion coat applied prior to anodising has failed. Neither are easy to assess without electron-microscopy or, possibly, Auger-SEM analysis. The other possibility is that the spool has been exposed to a strong acid spray (typically something with some fluoride in it - like an Al/Mag cleaner) or concentrated caustic spray (above pH 11.5).

If you think the problem is inherent in the spool - return to manufacturer. But they will probably ask how the reel has been stored, etc.

Exactly what he said :whistle:

well i use johnsons baby bath as soap effects my skin, so no corosive products were used. and as to the other bit??????????????????????????????????????????? i am confused but satisfied lol. so i returned the reel via couriers please to shimano 1 hr ago...... fingers crossed all goes well.

baheath... thanks for the terminolagy of what you thort is happening :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Archived