bull shark v's 7wght fly rod = sore thumb for ash

madmullet

Ash and I set a goal yesterday to catch a shark each on our 7-8w fly rods. We got down to the jetty around 8.00, a little later than we had planned and set up the rods and tied leader ( tippets ) on and floated the baits out into the current.

I was first on with a vary lazy fight lasting only a few mins. Ash was up next and this little bully had its Milo this morning, it was full of energy with good long runs and a couple jumps and at one stage their nearly ran all the line of the spool. On one accasion as ash was winding, the shark turned and did a quick run and as it did, ash slipped of the handle and got wrapped straight across her knuckle on her thumb. She persevered and tamed nice little bully.

It was a first for both of us and we will be defiantly doing it again

mako checking the rod

post-8878-144598697785_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598697801_thumb.jpg

post-8878-14459869781_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598697819_thumb.jpg

post-8878-14459869783_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598697839_thumb.jpg

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzB6nDFzo_Y

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kscapfn1fsw

I read the title and was like "no way" ... shark on fly in brisbane? Haha.

How did you get the baits out there? Did you have to hand lob it?

Oh also, just found out the other day that you're friends with my sisters friend angie. River rats?? <---- definitely a "cool story bro" post but thought I'd bring it up anyway :D

I read the title and was like "no way" ... shark on fly in brisbane? Haha.

How did you get the baits out there? Did you have to hand lob it?

Oh also, just found out the other day that you're friends with my sisters friend angie. River rats?? <---- definitely a "cool story bro" post but thought I'd bring it up anyway :D

small world..... i have met them afew times now and they are prity nice people...

ballooned them out. when it gets to the desired distance, semi strike and the line pulling against the balloon will rip it off cause of the water pressure.

post-8878-144598698604_thumb.jpg

Catching any fish on a fly outfit is incredible fun and at times quite challenging.

You both did very well.

I was lucky enough to nail a 71kg Blue Shark on fly using 6kg tippet and that was just incredible fun and it took so long to land that fish.

You should try and nail one on a fly now Kurt.

Catching any fish on a fly outfit is incredible fun and at times quite challenging.

You both did very well.

I was lucky enough to nail a 71kg Blue Shark on fly using 6kg tippet and that was just incredible fun and it took so long to land that fish.

You should try and nail one on a fly now Kurt.

dont worrie, i have plans on upgrading the fly rod and reel. what weight do you think i need to get cause i will be targeting them by sign around moreton bay between 1.5-2m long.

I started off with a 10 weight outfit which barely did the job on that size fish and was a constant battle.

I also caught a few 20-30kg rat yellowfin on the 10 weight and that was very under gunned too on those fish.

Around the bay though a 10 weight would more than likely be sufficient as you don't have to contend with deep water and you can chase the fish.

All the sharks I hooked up on fly were out over 200 fathom while we were cubing up yellowfin and the Makos would just go deep and spool me every time where in the bay you wont have those problems.

I built up a kick ass 12-14 weight rod which in the end I never got to use out wide due to work commitments but I did test run it on some 10kg Kings and I managed to turn those fish quite easily on the heavier gear.

I was going to nail a marlin on it but never got the time after I bought my trawler.

A 10 weight outfit is still reasonable to cast but 12 weight and above you need to be built like Hulk to cast them properly and are very demanding on your body after a while.

I cant really help you out on brands Kurt as I have not fly fished for many years now and gear has changed so much since then.

Just make sure what ever rod you get has a fighting butt setup as that makes life so much easier.

The reel is only a holding mechanism for the line basically so you don't need to spend a heap on one but a good rod is essential for good casting.

I cant really help you out on brands Kurt as I have not fly fished for many years now and gear has changed so much since then.

Just make sure what ever rod you get has a fighting butt setup as that makes life so much easier.

The reel is only a holding mechanism for the line basically so you don't need to spend a heap on one but a good rod is essential for good casting.

beautiful, thanks heaps

great fun!!! i know some guys that use to chase the sharks on flies out where you where chasing the tarpon the other day ;) just need a fly to imitate a mullet,gar or boney ;) or even surface popper flies

Out of a boat or on land

out of a boat, its about a 20min run from the closest ramp at this stage..

Archived