Folding (Pocket) Knife Legislation??

Gad

With this months SSAA Shooters Magazine, included was one of the Mad Hatters,sorry I meant, Bob Katters` Australian Party election pamphlets on his Firearm Policy Summary.

In a section on: “ Complete the Current Rewrite of the Qld Weapons Actâ€,he states:

Identify issues requiring urgent or immediate legislative intervention including rescinding the recent knife legislation passed unanimously by the Alp and LNP that sees tradesmen,fishermen and farmers needing to pay $79’50 to apply for a licence to take a folding pocket knife to work.

Does any one know about this knife legislation.

When I`m out fishing whether yakking,land based or in the boat,more times than not, I have a pocket knife on me for trimming tag ends and for any unseen emergency, that my require a fast cut.

Is this another piece of legislation that has crept in and proclaims that I (and others in a similar situation) are armed (concealable weapon) and therefore dangerous,with criminal intent.

From the Qld Police website (09/03/2012):http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/faq/generalQuestions.htm

Can I carry a knife for work purposes?

It is a reasonable excuse to physically possess a knife to perform a lawful activity, duty or employment; to participate in a lawful entertainment, recreation or sport, for exhibiting the knife or for use for a lawful purpose. Examples as quoted in Section 51 of the Weapons Act 1990 are:-

A person may carry a knife on his or her belt for performing work in primary production.

A scout may carry a knife on his or her belt as part of the scout uniform

A person may carry a knife as an accessory while playing in a pipe band

A fisher may carry a knife for use while fishing

A person who collects knives may exhibit them at a fete or another public gathering

A person may use a knife to prepare or cut food at a restaurant in a public place or when

having a picnic in a park

A person may carry a pen knife or swiss army knife for use for its normal utility purpose

Click here for Weapons Act 1990
/>http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/links.htm

That pipe band one is gold. Still asking myself why

I'd say the pipe band has to do with gaelic heritage. I know the scots pipers always carried a sgian dubh (or skean dhu - ceremonial dagger) as part of their traditional highland dress....

I think there is some proposed legislation out there, that is why the mad Katter is talking about it.

Was reading what you posted Johnny and realised that by replacing one repeated word through the legislation with another it could also apply and be copied for some new legislation after the ladies are removed from politics hahaha. I have changed the wording below.

…….. Licensing/faq/generalQuestions.htm

Can I carry a wife for work purposes?

It is a reasonable excuse to physically possess a wife to perform a lawful activity, duty or employment; to participate in a lawful entertainment, recreation or sport, for exhibiting the wife or for use for a lawful purpose. Examples as quoted in Section 51 of the Weapons Act 1990 are:-

A person may carry a wife on his or her belt for performing work in primary production.

A person may carry a wife as an accessory while playing in a pipe band

A fisher may carry a wife for use while fishing

A person who collects wives may exhibit them at a fete or another public gathering

A person may use a wife to prepare or cut food at a restaurant in a public place or when

having a picnic in a park

A person may carry a pen wife or swiss army wife for use for its normal utility purpose

…..

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I remember at one place I was working a guy had a filleting knife and protested to the cops that it was for fishing purposes. Without missing a beat the copper asked the whereabouts of his rod and reel while putting the cuffs on him a little tight

• 3 weeks later...

My mate back in victoria got done with one on his key chain. He was walking from his car to the bottle shop. Police pinned him and 2 other of my mates, random pat search, found the key and they charged all 3 for resisting arrest and carrying a concealed weapon. Random act of police violence, my friends werent even drunk but i dare say they would have been smart arses.

They paid a lot of court costs

Thats exactly right but apparently they got tackled to the ground for no reason. I know i would be totally wtf are you doing if this happened to me. Cops sometimes over react to a lot of things. all i assume is that they must have matched a description of somebody they were after.

Thats exactly right but apparently they got tackled to the ground for no reason. I know i would be totally wtf are you doing if this happened to me. Cops sometimes over react to a lot of things. all i assume is that they must have matched a description of somebody they were after.

yea well it was in Victoria, the tackler might have saved their lives when he saw the back up reaching to unclip his holster :ohmy:

Archived