Spot the Difference Identifying your Catch

Gad

be aware that ‘I didn`t know’ = FINE

Taken from Sept.DAFF newsletter..

/>http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/30_22059.htm

Fisheries Queensland is asking fishers to brush up on their fish identification knowledge before casting their next line.

For example;

Barred javelin (spotted grunter) has a uniform golden-green back with a silvery belly. To distinguish barred javelin from silver javelin, check the body for traces of brown vertical bars and indistinct or no spots on the dorsal fin.

Barred javelin (East Coast) bag limit 10 40cm minimum

Silver javelin (small spotted grunter) has a silvery body with numerous scattered dark brown to blackish spots.

Silver javelin bag limit 10 30cm minimum

To differentiate silver javelin from barred javelin, look out for dark blotches on the dorsal fins and no vertical bars on the body.

Check the dorsal fin to differentiate from school and spotted mackerel.

School mackerel have a white patch and spotted mackerel do not.

School mackerel bag limit 10 50cm minimum

Spotted mackerel also generally have more prominent defined spots on the body.

Spotted mackerel bag limit 5 60cm minimum

Call 13 25 23 to order a free 2012-13 Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide or download a copy from the Fisheries Queensland website.

For more information on fish identification and possession and size limits, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Fisheries information is also available via Twitter @fisheriesQLD or follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook.

i have to use grants guide, reef fish of great barrier reef chart , fish id chart with size and bag limits, the latest regulations guide and what ever other form of fish pics with id just to fish yeppoon..mainly because of the variety of fish that are caught.. i have my self covered but in saying that it took alot of my own effort and money to cover my arse. this sort of info should be supplied by the government to all rec fishos, if they have a book with all the right info then it should be published for all!!

thanks for the info on the grunter and macks for others to see :)

Doesn't even have to be a book. Just a downloadable pdf would work well. Download and print, or download on to smart phone and its handy at all times.

Yup, great idea and they should already have the images and documention already together in some format so would require little cost or effort to prepare.

Doesn't even have to be a book. Just a downloadable pdf would work well. Download and print, or download on to smart phone and its handy at all times.

Yup, great idea and they should already have the images and documention already together in some format so would require little cost or effort to prepare.

What, you're asking fisheries to provide a service to rec anglers!!

I don't think we'll be getting much if any of that for a while.

Archived