SE Qld/Nthn NSW Primed for Supercell Weekend??

Gad

Please keep checking BOM or whichever weather sites you follow this weekend there is potential for some very nasty weather activity.

/>http://www.weatherchannel.com.au/main-menu/News/Breaking-News/South-east-Queensland-primed-for-supercell-weekend.aspx

Brisbane may well live up to its name of Australia’s thunderstorm capital in coming days with south-east Queensland primed for storms and even possible supercell activity this weekend.

“Supercell development is when you get one or all of the following - hail size in excess of a $2 coin, wind speeds in excess of 90km/h and flash flooding,†says Mr Whitaker, Chief Meteorologist at The Weather Channel.

Southern Queensland Coastal Waters Forecast

/>http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts/southern_qld_coastal_waters.shtml

NB: The above Supercell explanation is a very basic one: A Supercell is a very large and very intense thunderstorm cell. What hit The Gap, in 2008, would be an example of a severe Supercell

Cheers Gad

PS.The reason the chief Met guy quoted is Mr Whitaker, is because the system would not accept D!ck Whitaker...

Thread has been fairly moderated.

Cut out the rubbish. Refrain from personal attacks. If you don't know what constitutes a personal attack - they usually start with "You...."

If your post is no longer visible to you here and it started with "You", then there is a good chance you can use your memory of the post as an example for future reference of what is NOT acceptable behaviour.

Also, Wahoo and Booty, the banter is obviously not being received well, so just stop it. Some members have been doing little else but for the last couple of weeks. Time is running very short for any ongoing tolerance of it.

so did every one pull up ok?? after that little snot of a storm!!

im at birkdale and it piddled down and the light show was spactacular but the daughter didnt think to much of the big bangs comeing from out side

her face was price less "WWWWWWHAT WAS THAT" U SHOULD OFF SEEN THE LOOK SHE GAVE ME.

opps dam caps lock

ps she is only 3..

i nillt pissed my self laughing..but i couldnt

so did every one pull up ok??
No!!! The dog was scared out of her mind so we brought her inside and she decided to use the rug as her toilet :evil: Ahhh well' date=' Des cleaned it up so it\'s all good :whistle: :lol:[/quote']

lol yer my big tuff staffy lol :whistle: was S##ting him self on the back deck so i had to lock him in the shed IE a 3x3m and that is were he stayed.

oh NO i better go let him out come to think of it ..

jokes he is out..

No!!! The dog was scared out of her mind so we brought her inside and she decided to use the rug as her toilet :evil: Ahhh well, Des cleaned it up so it's all good :whistle: :lol:

Thanks mate - you have made me smile. I just had another lightning strike an hour ago and it blew the new modem.

so far i have blown

2 x modems

1 x foxtel

1 x clients server

:S :blush: :angry:

No!!! The dog was scared out of her mind so we brought her inside and she decided to use the rug as her toilet :evil: Ahhh well, Des cleaned it up so it's all good :whistle: :lol:

Thanks mate - you have made me smile. I just had another lightning strike an hour ago and it blew the new modem.

so far i have blown

2 x modems

1 x foxtel

1 x clients server

:S :blush: :angry:

Jeez mate did you break a mirror or something?

I was offline for the midday storm. The storm at midnight I was back online and asleep. The lightning this morning was totally out of the blue. I can not stay offline as I have to give the client access. The server fried as the surge came down the phone line, through the modem and into the back of the server. The power is surge and battery protected.

lol was your dog shaking like you just pulled it from the antartic swell ??

lol i know mine was and he flips out and trys to push the door of its hinges to get in side

Yeah mate trembles uncontrollably and eyes look like there gonna pop out her head

sounds like all women in your presence

I was offline for the midday storm. The storm at midnight I was back online and asleep. The lightning this morning was totally out of the blue. I can not stay offline as I have to give the client access. The server fried as the surge came down the phone line, through the modem and into the back of the server. The power is surge and battery protected.

I've seen those surge guards also with the phone/network guard. They do any good.

If a strike hits close enough a surge guard wont be too much help. Power can jump a surprising distance at those voltages.

I've seen those surge guards also with the phone/network guard. They do any good.

If a strike hits close enough a surge guard wont be too much help. Power can jump a surprising distance at those voltages.

You should have been using a Thor surge protector, expensive but worth every cent.

My mate had one plugged into his home theatre system, direct lightning strike, took out all power in his house, fridge, modem, pc etc, even blew the adsl filter to the other end of the house and lodged it in the fibro, but the thor saved the tv, which was turned on at the time too.

severe storms are starting to pop up all over the SE

take care folks and keep checking BoM if your out and about.

BoM only posts their actual severe storm warnings up once the storm has formed,so if your in the path, often the notice can be short..

The forecast warnings have been in place since Friday

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - SOUTHEAST QUEENSLAND

for DAMAGING WIND, HEAVY RAINFALL and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in the BRISBANE CITY, LOGAN CITY, MORETON BAY, REDLAND CITY, North Stradbroke Island and parts of the GOLD COAST CITY, GYMPIE, IPSWICH CITY, DALBY, SUNSHINE COAST, SOMERSET and SOUTH BURNETT Council Areas.

Issued at 1:36 pm Sunday, 18 November 2012.

Archived