AFO sharking social

madmullet

Ok afo, hear is the social everyone has been waiting for, just kidding. On the 2/2/13-3/2/13 the K.N.R.B team will be holding a shark social at Bribie Island, Woorim beach easily accessible by car due to bitumen road then a short walk to the beach. Finer details of exact location will be given very shortly. The social will kick of at 10.00 giving everyone a chance to get to Bribie

For this social, the crew of K.N.R.B will be demonstrating how to mate a shark trace to suit the shark you are chasing, how to rig a bait, how to use the sand bagging technique and a lot of other helpful hints.

I will be bringing a range of rods from large spinners, medium range overhead reels to the big 80w game reels so if anyone doesn’t own a combo; they can use one of mine for the day or weekend

I will have the Jet Ski there to run the baits of into the surf to make life easier.

We also will be giving out over $300 worth of prizes

Of course weather is a factor hear and if we have had too much rain, turning the water brown or there big swell happening, we will only be demonstrating the how too’s.

You will need to bring fishing gear, bait, ( mullet, eel, bonito ect what ever you would like to use ) sun block, water, food, towels and any other general thing you would normally bring on the trip. If you don’t have any traces, I will has stock for sale on the day

any question, please dont hesitate to ask

cheers kurt

post-8878-14459888539_thumb.jpg

I should be able to go. Been talking to a few people who are keen to take boats up but cant go on the sand. We might be able to launch in the passage, get some fresh bonito and tuna for everyone then camp the night if there is a road close enough. Sounds like it will be a great weekend. Keen to see whats around the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kurt

I haven't been doing any socials for a long time and would like to come along, Woorim is where I go beach fishing but have never tried sharks so would love to learn.

Need a few pointers as to what gear to bring.

Would bring a decent beach rod and an older Shimano 10.000 Baitrunner, will that do?

I'm guessing you'll run braid but what braking strain and how many meters, fill it up?

What size trace and what size and kind of hooks?

Do you run a shock leader and what breaking strain?

You must have caught Sharks there before, what kind and size are they?

Thanks to everyone answering my questions and see you all at the meeting

Cheers

Carsten

Hi Kurt

I haven't been doing any socials for a long time and would like to come along, Woorim is where I go beach fishing but have never tried sharks so would love to learn.

Need a few pointers as to what gear to bring.

Would bring a decent beach rod and an older Shimano 10.000 Baitrunner, will that do?

I'm guessing you'll run braid but what braking strain and how many meters, fill it up?

What size trace and what size and kind of hooks?

Do you run a shock leader and what breaking strain?

You must have caught Sharks there before, what kind and size are they?

Thanks to everyone answering my questions and see you all at the meeting

Cheers

Carsten

hey mate kurt rob and i run from 50lbs to 80lbs main and you can run a leader 80lbs is good and the trace consist of a lead 1000lbs swivel 600lbs multi strand nylon coated wire to a circle hook ranging from 14/0 to 20/0 kurt will have premade traces you can buy on the day if you do not have any. and a rod holder would be a plus aswell

cheers nick

The sharks we could catch there could range from small 4 footers up and over 10 foot.

For the smaller ones you could fish 20-30lb sort of gear with 100lb wire traces and with the big ones would be using the big 80lb gear with a harness and thick 500kg+ multistrand wire cable.

This is just the general idea but it really depends on what gear, tackle and baits you have.

If you are new to the sport and really have no idea, it's best to start small and read through "Neil Schultz's Sharking Article" under the Sharking category.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I have to double check the rod and reel but think a middle of the line approach with 3-400 meters of 50lb braid will be the thing to go with and then buy one of your ready made wire traces/hook setup to see how you rig it up.

I'm guessing the bait is fished under balloons or a styrofoam float?

I did read the article and have tried a couple of times in the Pine river with a 70lb 6/0 setup under a float with dead bait but never had any luck so looking forward to a bit of tuition to see it done properly as I would love to target them regurlary.

It would be nice to team up with someone who knows what they are doing in the Pine river/Caboolture river too.

I have to double check the rod and reel but think a middle of the line approach with 3-400 meters of 50lb braid will be the thing to go with and then buy one of your ready made wire traces/hook setup to see how you rig it up.

I did read the article and have tried a couple of times in the Pine river with a 70lb 6/0 setup under a float with dead bait but never had any luck so looking forward to a bit of tuition to see it done properly as I would love to target them regurlary.

It would be nice to team up with someone who knows what they are doing in the Pine river/Caboolture river too.

drop your baits to the floor.

mste we will be sandbagging our baits to keep them on the bottom and thats another thing to if any of you guys can get hessian sacks and bring them along that would be great

• 2 weeks later...

This should be a good time. I dropped another one at Bribie today before I could beach it. So, this arvo I have channeled my inner MadMullet and made up some traces. The sharks are really firing out there - especially if you happen to have a live trevalley hanging out on your hook. :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like it could be me + 2 other shark curious friends, one was a concerned about how the sharks would be treated, I assured him they would be treated humanely and/or returned alive where possible (hopefully this is true?).

Looking forward to it!

they will be released as you can not keep any sharks over 1.5m if we catch 1 or 2 small ones we might keep them for a feed but the others will be released

Hey Kurt,

Would something like a Stella 18000 on a Saltiga GT rod be appropriate? It's my heavieast combo as my over head only has 30lb (which I'll also bring - if I can make it).

It's got 300m of PE5 line on it.

Yeh mate

If any one thinks they can't go because they think they don't have a big enough combo, do fear, you don't have to chase big sharks, their are plenty of small sharks around Bribie

Hey Kurt,

Would something like a Stella 18000 on a Saltiga GT rod be appropriate? It's my heavieast combo as my over head only has 30lb (which I'll also bring - if I can make it).

It's got 300m of PE5 line on it.

Yeh mate

If any one thinks they can't go because they think they don't have a big enough combo, do fear, you don't have to chase big sharks, their are plenty of small sharks around Bribie

Im happy enough to wrestle small sharks. Anything under 1.5m.

at the end of the day with braid and mono its just personal preference with braid you can get more line capacity we run borh braid and mono on different reels kurts 80w's are spooled with mono his 50w is spooled braid and they all do the job. and with the trace general rule of thumb it 2 times longer than the shark so if your chasing a 1.5m shark run 3m but sometimes we run shorter traces and just have a heavy mono leader of 80lbs min due to tail whip we havnt been tail whipped on 80lbs yet

Archived