Charging for use of a boat ramp

madmullet

BOATING could become a whole lot dearer in the Tweed with plans for paid parking at local ramps tipped to cost regular boaties hundreds of dollars each week.

The penny-pinching plan proposes a fee of $5 an hour for cars with trailers -- an amount that will hurt boaties who fish for six hours-plus more than once a week.

The Tweed Shire Council is to spend $30,000 investigating the viability of introducing paid parking, but four of the shire's seven councillors are convinced it is the only way to generate much-needed revenue.

Tweed Shire ratepayers will be offered rebates, with tourists and non-locals the main target for the hefty parking fees.

Currumbin Waters boatie Lance Robins said fishermen would simply not pay the fee.

"Residential streets around the shire's boat ramps will be full and will create a whole other set of problems," he said.

"I launch my boat from Tweed three to four days a week and this would easily cost me $150-$200 a week.

"I can understand that council wants to generate revenue but $5 an hour is just far too much, especially when most boaties go out for six to seven hours."

Gold Coast Fishing Club spokesman Jason McMillan said if approved, the parking slug would change the club's schedule competitions for the year.

"We have several comps planned to be fished out of the Tweed area to accommodate for our southern members but with prices like that I don't think we can," he said.

Your Say

"i think the tweed council member think everyone is like them made of money and have a 30 ft cabin cruiser while forgot to think that 75% of these people are family with a tin and a mortgage.17 minutes ago."

spellwilder

"The fishing time allocated for our competitions is a minimum six hours -- that is $30 for parking straight up -- people just can't afford that.

"We will be rallying Tweed Shire councillors to rethink this proposal. There has to be a better way to raise revenue."

Councillor Warren Polglase said despite the proposal's unpopularity it was the council's job to take charge and show leadership.

"We have been studying paid parking schemes in other Northern Rivers shires and it seems to be the best way to get the extra revenue we will need to lower rates," he said.

"Nothing is set in stone yet. We are investigating whether it is viable for the council, with parking inspector fees, machine maintenance and signage. It won't just be boat ramps and some main streets will receive meters too, but boat ramps have been identified as priority areas."

Cr Polglase said it would take about three months for the council to reach a decision.

WTF!! I will never use a boat ramp that charges $5 an hour......I can afford it but just in principal I won't.......just have to fish other areas. I reckon boaties should boycott any car park at a ramp that tries that on......let the council lose money on their purchase of meters and inspectors and get rid of them at the next election....... bugger em.

It just wouldn't work. Sure, putting meters in and around the ramps closer to the built up areas might raise some revenue as the vehicles have no where else to go, but once you get down Chinderah way, there are so many different places to park away from the ramp that no one will ever park in the ramp car parks.

It will be unmanageable.

It just wouldn't work. Sure, putting meters in and around the ramps closer to the built up areas might raise some revenue as the vehicles have no where else to go, but once you get down Chinderah way, there are so many different places to park away from the ramp that no one will ever park in the ramp car parks.

It will be unmanageable.

Until they put 2 hour parking limit signs in all the feeder streets to the ramp...

Wow, I guess they haven't factored in how much boating/fishing actually costs per session. So are they going to give back and increase the security at the ramps, provide running water to wash your boat, decent toilets and actually have trailer only parking? I would expect this sort of infrastructure for such an exorbitant parking fee.

Wonder if they will put parking meters at beach parking areas? Like at D-Bar, I reckon that they would make a lot more cash of surfers and beach goers.

Wow, I guess they haven't factored in how much boating/fishing actually costs per session. So are they going to give back and increase the security at the ramps, provide running water to wash your boat, decent toilets and actually have trailer only parking? I would expect this sort of infrastructure for such an exorbitant parking fee.

Wonder if they will put parking meters at beach parking areas? Like at D-Bar, I reckon that they would make a lot more cash of surfers and beach goers.

Don't forget the surcurity guard at eavh ramp for safety as well

Archived