AFOs`Own`Winter Squider`Tells How

Gad

Any ideas where it's good to go squiding from a boat? He didn't mention in the article where he was fishing for them.

I have gone down to Dunwich One Mile Jetty, Manly Harbour and the Wynnum Jetty land based and had some joy at each of those sites but have also heard you can get them somewhere over along Moreton Isl.

Any other boat based areas people like to hit up?

Good write up Kris and nice pics to boot. You should be using 3.0 shaved down, trust me I know what I'm doing :whistle:

Any ideas where it's good to go squiding from a boat? He didn't mention in the article where he was fishing for them.

I have gone down to Dunwich One Mile Jetty, Manly Harbour and the Wynnum Jetty land based and had some joy at each of those sites but have also heard you can get them somewhere over along Moreton Isl.

Any other boat based areas people like to hit up?

The pictures in that article tell you a lot. For those in the know you will generally want to chase squid in the shallows over a rocky bottom or weed beds. You will find these around most of the southern bay islands. Clear water on an incoming tide is best ;)

I have been walking at night along my usual spot down on the water front and have been taking my LED Lenser torch with me and have spotted so many squid up in the shallows in the last 2 weeks it's not funny.

They seem to chasing stacks of small prawns and there is some nice size ones in with them too.

I counted 23 the other night all within casting distance.

I'll be giving them a good nudge this week.

G'day all,

cheers for the nice comments!( only just saw this...) I use Yamashita Jigs in roughly 2.0-2.2 in depths up to around 12ft. ALL the bay islands hold great numbers atm as they do every year as it gets cold. Eug is exactly right, look for the weed/rock/kelp trees/ broken reef. I prefer natural colours but at night fluoro pink and orange are the go.

Good numbers along any of the rocky foreshores around the bay. Take a few jigs out as they can be a bit fussy in the clear water and watch out for big pike that steal your lures!! Lost 3 on Sunday to fish ;(

cheers for reading happy squidin' !!

Archived