Fraser island camp spots

pancakes_and_haggis

Hi guys, can anyone recommend any good camping areas that they have experience with on fraser..

We're looking at towing the tinny up and are looking at camping areas from around happy valley south!

towing the tinny up to fish the hervy bay side, and not wanting to tow too far up the beach as were going alone~!

any help would be great, prefer amenities at the site as not too sure how dad would go doing a bush ****

thanks in advance

callum

If fishing in the tinny is your main goal, can i suggest camping at inskip? There is a ramp to use that gives you access to the sandy straight without any of the worries of towing on the beach. Not quite the same as camping on fraser, but if you plan on fishing all day then it would be my pick.

I'm with woody on this one Callum, with the wild swell and beach erosion you'll be dragging the tinny over coffee rock and run a good chance of damaging it, the price of petrol is stupid on the island (costs a fair bit less at Rainbow if you need to fill up) and dragging a boat & trailer over sand will use a fair bit of juice.

Stay at Inskip, there's toilets (no showers but you should smell like rum, fish and campfire smoke by the end of it anyway) and save the money from the barge, VAP fees and extra fuel to buy fishing gear with mate.

camping is still $5.something a night per person at inskip and if you want to fish the beach you can still drive down between rainbow and inskip without a permit.

no need to lock your food and bait up from the dingos either

don't bother with inskip, it's gone downhill with the locals... know some people that have had their gear flogged whilst fast asleep. chairs, fridges, esky full of food, had to cut a trip short because of it.

that said, keep a tidy campsite and lock things up it's been known to happen all over fraser.

Was looking last night and was thinkin I might get the barge from River heads to wanggoolba creek instead of driving up raimbow and getting ghe inskip barge , that will take me over to wanggoolba creek then was thinking od driving down to ungowa where there is a camp ground with boat ramp?

Anyone done this or camped at ungowa bwfore on the south western side? Thanks,callum

I think you need to quite a bit more research. Unless u are going with another 4wd, leave your boat behind. U will get stuck. Why not just launch from the boat harbour, and fish big woody, little woody, nu2, Roy rufus, king fisher, moon ledge and many more. Fish for all reefies and pelagics with out the stress of the beach ect

Or hit inskip point, good fishing down that way also

Note, plan, study and research before making "any"plans on an area that you have no idea on

Archived