Fed Govt to Introduce Rec Boating Levy

Gad

Taken from Fishing World email newsletter 6-4-14

Government to introduce recreational boating tax

01 Apr 2014

By Fisho staff writers

IN the lead up to the release of the federal budget next month, it has been rumoured that federal treasurer Joe Hockey is set to drop a bombshell by unleashing a tax on Australia's recreational boaters – for using their vessels on public waters.

News of the controversial tax proposal comes as the Coalition Government begins to rally Australians to “dig deep†in a bid to lift the country out of a worsening economy Hockey says is the legacy of the former Labor Government.

“This is a bloody outrage,†said Paul Fullovet, spokesman for the Sydney Recreational Boater's Group. We get charged to park at boat ramps, pay registration and licence fees for boating and fishing and now this. What's next, a tax on breathing?â€

Opposition leader Bill Shorten was also quick to jump on the government's new tax proposal.

“For so long we've heard the Coalition banging on about 'stopping the boats', but I don't think Australians thought this was what they actually meant. This is the most ridiculous tax proposal I've ever heard. I guess the former Gillard/Rudd governments will get the blame for the need for this crazy tax as well?â€

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison was unavailable for comment but a source told Fisho the minister is expected to fully support the tax proposal.

“Morrison is keen to keep people off boats, so I can't see him opposing this one,†the source told Fisho.

While Prime Minister Tony Abbott is yet to discuss the boating tax proposal publicly, it is believed several members of his cabinet are against the controversial proposal. Amongst those opposed is Education Minister Christopher Pyne, who is reportedly a keen barefoot water skier and PWC rider.

Another, disgruntled upon hearing of the tax is Senator George Brandis. Upon hearing of the proposal, sources close to the Attorney General revealed his nickname of “Barra†Brandis, due to Brandis's apparent fondness for lure fishing in the wilds of the Northern Territory.

“I can't see how this will possibly go ahead,†said a spokesman for North Sydney Yak Fishers.

“Will it be a blanket tax for everybody or will it be per boat, or in our case, kayak? It's the dumbest idea... What, are they gonna install pay stations way up a creek somewhere before you get on the water?â€

Joe Hockey has told the ABC that Australia's growth in expenditure, set up under the previous Labor government, is like a "tsunami coming across the water".

A similar tsunami in the form of an on-water protest by Australia's millions of rec boaters may also now be imminent.

Fisho will follow this controversial story for any further developments prior to next month's federal budget. Stay tuned.

They should start with there wages first and stop these crazy pay rises, I don't even get cpi and lucky if I get a pay rise each year, and yet the dumb arses are giving themselves massive pay rises, its money that could be used for a better purpose.

What the hell is world coming to when a bloke can't take his kids down the beach for a fish with out paying for it.

Its a shame because people who are thinking of trying out fishing or introducing fishing to there young kids for the first time, a % of them will think it's just not worth the trouble.

You would think the gov would be trying advertise the fact that fishing is a good cheep spot & it's a lot more fun then running around breaking into cars,

i know n.s.w has had it in for a few years now, which pees me off every time i go down there to holiday,

but when a person pays for a boat licence, rego for two boats, rego on two boat trailers, & gst on every thing piece off tackle bait & insurance he buys, you would think the #%@* holes were getting more then plenty. :angry:

And how do they think they will extract it, Boat registration is a state government matter, not federal. State Govt passing on rego details to the feds on mass would breach just about every privacy rule they have.

Only way was if they got the states to agree to apply the levee as part of the rego fees.

I'm sure the state govt is going to want the bad publicity of increasing their own fees to just give the loot to the Feds.

Us fresh water fisho's will probably dodge it anyway, when Campbell sells SEQ Water, our fishing grounds wont be public waters anymore........ :blink:

Hey Gad, I'd check the date on that email mate ;)

If everyone understood how our federation worked they would be quickly skeptical as I don't think the fed govt has jurisdiction.

April fools joke or another rumour (as stated in the opening line) started by an opposition/minor party before the WA Senate (re)election.

:lol:

“This is a bloody outrage,†said Paul Fullovet, spokesman for the Sydney Recreational Boater's Group. We get charged to park at boat ramps, pay registration and licence fees for boating and fishing and now this. What's next, a tax on breathing?â€

I think the spokesman's name kind of gives it away as a gag.

Hey Gad, I'd check the date on that email mate ;)

If everyone understood how our federation worked they would be quickly skeptical as I don't think the fed govt has jurisdiction.

April fools joke or another rumour (as stated in the opening line) started by an opposition/minor party before the WA Senate (re)election.

:lol:

:lol::lol: Congrats on the spotting. :) I was beginning to think no one was going to pick it up

Archived