Bass Travels Record Distance

Gad

Taken from Fishing World email newsletter

28 Apr 2014

IN ITS latest newsletter, Suntag has reported on the epic migrations of a couple of popular rec fishing species, the barramundi and Australian bass.

Suntag reports that over 50 barramundi had made a long distance trek of over 700km from Lake Theresa to the mouth of the Fitzroy River.

An Aussie bass has also made a similar long distance trek after being tagged at Queensland's Lake Boondooma near Kingaroy in Oct 2006. Almost 7.5 years later the fish was caught in the Burnett estuary 320km down river from where it was originally tagged.

Of particular note is that the bass had to negotiate its way over two dam walls and three weirs during its journey - see video for more details: http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/bass-travels-record-distance

I have caught one at eatons crossing, northside of brisbane that had left the bris river, went north in the ocean, then up the north pine into the soputh pine.

I have also had one of my taggings go over the dam wall into north pine, out to the ocean and go south, then up the bris river.

Dino

Archived