Angler’s Not Fine with Groper Catch Penalty

Gad

Note: I did not black out the guys name as he was happy to have his mug shot :dry: plastered (sorry slip of keyboard) I mean photo with the papers report, hoping for some sympathy I imagine.

EDIT: added farcebook link https://www.facebook.com/FisheriesQueensland/photos/a.219577731387938.65083.141031799242532/887650901247281/?type=1

/>http://www.qt.com.au/news/anglers-not-fine-with-groper-catch-penalty/2476297/

6th Dec 2014 5:00 AM

DWANE Austerberry has complained about the fine he was given by the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) after posting a video and photo of a Queensland groper catch and release to Facebook.

On Thursday, the NewsMail reported two Bundaberg anglers had been fined for possessing the protected species, with the QBFP stating the groper was fought to the point of exhaustion.

Mr Austerberry said the claims were incorrect and believed he was not given the chance to tell his side of the story to QBFP.

"My brother and I have been fishing at a particular spot along the river in East Bundaberg for a while now and we kept getting snapped off by something," he said.

"We thought it must have been a shark so the next time we went down we decided to try and catch it."

The pair used a rope and homemade hook to bring in the beast, only to realise the fish was actually a massive groper.

"We were excited. It is a once in a lifetime experience to see a groper up close which is why we took a quick photo and video," he said.

"We both know that gropers are protected so we grabbed the hook out of its mouth and away it went," he said.

"We did not intentionally try to target this particular fish and we were very quick to release it back into the water."

Mr Austerberry and his brother were under investigation by the QBFP before being fined $455 each.

"We had no idea the photo and video were being investigated until we received the fine," he said.

"I think we should have been warned and given a bit of a slap on the wrist but to get fined is definitely a bit rich."

Mr Austerberry spoke to the QBFP yesterday afternoon to find out more information about the fine but was told the matter could not be discussed.

"They told me that I would have to direct any complaints in writing to the Brisbane office, which is exactly what I plan to do," he said.

The QBFP stated on its Facebook page that Queensland groper are a "no take" species and must be released immediately to the water to protect their health.

"By removing large fish from the water onto the bank injury can occur to internal organs, gills, eyes etc, so even though they are subsequently released and are then seen to swim away, they may still die from internal injuries sustained," the post said.

"Before fishers take a photo of a regulated fish, they need to consider the safest way they are going to handle the fish to ensure its survival."

One of my lads showed me the carry on on farcebook yesterday, the story goes dumb and his mate dumber using thick wire trace (looked about 6mm) fished a known river hole ( not groper targeting they say :whistle: )and hooked up a groper about 4-5 feet long,dragged it 3/4 out of the water onto the bank did a video took some happy pics frigged around and finally released the groper. Dumb and dumber then up loaded the video onto farcebook.

A concerned fisho ran QB&F about the video and QB&F took it from there. The video was taken off farcebook and apparently an edited one put back up showing the release.

Qb&F statements on fb:

Quote {Our investigations showed the fish was intentionally targeted and kept out of the water for longer than necessary..}….

Quote { Queensland Groper are a “no take†species and must be released immediately to the water to protect their health.}….

Quote { Before fishers take a photo of a regulated fish, they need to consider the safest way they are going to handle the fish to ensure its survival.}….

If it was me i'd pull it out and take some pic's. (bit suss on targeting them though)

That video is of the boys chasing monster sharks in the river, the grouper was by-catch.

I'd say that the boy's were made an example of, **** happens. time to move on.

not really any different

The big difference is that QBFP were called to act in this latest incident. I think they got what was due even if others have escaped. It's not hard to understand/interpret "immediately".

How do you know they were not called to act on Terry and Jeremy :whistle:

Archived