What Size/shape Paravanes Or Trolling Boards

Hweebe

Hi All,

Done a search on the forum around the different types of paravanes and trolling boards. Couple of questions for those with experience:

1) Which type / design / Brand? : Makka, Hookem, Yamashita, Delta, @aussie123 sells some. Interested in which type is the most forgiving (for my poor boat handling) eg tight turns, staying at depth, false hookups. Some are metal, plastic (surfboard shape / triangle)

2) Which size for Moreton Bay - Targeting schoolies. Some of the sizing doesn't tell you what depth they typically get down to and or what trolling speed is required to get to correct depth?

Cheers

Hweebe

Yes trying to decide between the yamashita and the stainless steel ones.

The plan is to paravane to find where they are likely located as articles like the one @Old Scaley posted say this is the most effective technique for schoolies.

I've only really tried under a float when we have fished gold coast reefs for spanish, but interesting that you say you have had more success under a float compared to paravanes.

Must be all the fishing reports that I read by Spero http://wp.fishingmonthly.com.au/2019/09/27/moreton-bay/

He seems to always be on the schoolies and swears by paravaning.

Hi Hweebe

I don't know much about paravaning, but I do know it's a very popular technique. Here is a link which may help you - 

http://wp.fishingmonthly.com.au/2017/12/04/spot-on-in-moreton-bay/

And here is a video (two actually) - 

The second one might not be so much on paravaning, but Land and Bay fishing is normally pretty good on general tips. 

Hope this helped,

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Thanks for the advice and tips. Have ordered a couple of trolling boards from @aussie123 and couple of spoons as well (ended up getting the two smaller sized boards 6 and 8m) Will try to get the technique sorted out and post the results. @GregOug this is why I enjoy fishing trying new things out and when they come off it’s so rewarding. I’m the same have bought countless lures with best intentions, some still boxed but trying to turn a new leaf, got to experiment because one things for sure the lure in the tackle box aint catching fish. Plus would rather lose a lure trying.

9 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Thanks for the advice and tips. Have ordered a couple of trolling boards from @aussie123 and couple of spoons as well (ended up getting the two smaller sized boards 6 and 8m) Will try to get the technique sorted out and post the results. @GregOug this is why I enjoy fishing trying new things out and when they come off it’s so rewarding. I’m the same have bought countless lures with best intentions, some still boxed but trying to turn a new leaf, got to experiment because one things for sure the lure in the tackle box aint catching fish. Plus would rather lose a lure trying.

Thanks Hweebe

Just remember the depths listed for all types of trolling boards and paravanes is determined by how much line you let out and the speed that you tow them.

I will get your order out today as well.

Thanks

Lance

On 22/06/2020 at 4:12 PM, Hweebe said:

Yes trying to decide between the yamashita and the stainless steel ones.

The plan is to paravane to find where they are likely located as articles like the one @Old Scaley posted say this is the most effective technique for schoolies.

I've only really tried under a float when we have fished gold coast reefs for spanish, but interesting that you say you have had more success under a float compared to paravanes.

Must be all the fishing reports that I read by Spero http://wp.fishingmonthly.com.au/2019/09/27/moreton-bay/

He seems to always be on the schoolies and swears by paravaning.

Spero is the king. Take his advice over mine every day. 

8 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Thanks Hweebe

Just remember the depths listed for all types of trolling boards and paravanes is determined by how much line you let out and the speed that you tow them.

I will get your order out today as well.

Thanks

Lance

I couldn't find them when I did a search. I must have put the wrong words in. My spelling has never been goodly done.