Brisbane River Session #63

AUS-BNE-FISHO

+ 1 on Raykes suggestion. I even have a spare one you could have. 

21 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

After not being able to lip grip or grab the catty, I resorted to flicking it off the brag mat.

@rayke1938 I have seen rayke pick up catties. he holds them around the belly up tight against the spines. I will let him explain it better but it is a safer way to hold them.

I’m yet to fish with live mullet but it seems to be quite tricky to get something decent to take a live bait I’ll think I’ll stick to dead bait if try shark fishing because it seemed to work amazingly well up at the Whitsundays . Oh and the last photo on your thread with the mullet with a bite mark in it looks like a massive pufferfish took a bite .it looks a lot like a pufferfish tooth Mark when I was up at the Whitsundays I had a stripy head as bait anyway I got a run on the rod I tightened the drag and set the hook the fish felt decent but small for a shark anyway after 5 minutes i got it close to the boat and netted it . It was a massive pufferfish probably around 7kg probably one of the weirdest things I’ve caught I was a little disappointed to say the least lmao.

Hi mate,

Good report. How big was the mullet? Looks like something a big larger than a bream had a chomp to me. Also, I’m no expert on live baiting but I would think that the method of inserting the hook into the mullet you used would have killed it almost instantly. We always used to place the hook behind the head and only just below the backbone, into the flesh. Then again I could be totally wrong. Wouldn’t be surprised. 

cheers

Greg

On 10/11/2020 at 5:32 AM, rayke1938 said:

Have you thought about dropping a crab pot . 

Hi Ray

Well - this is a bit of a sad story, by g he err I go. About five years ago I still fished this spot a lot, but mainly just got catties and river perch... And a crap tonne of muddies - sometimes we would get about ten on the lines in one session. It began happening until they ran out, but this Asian man would come down and take everything he got in his crap pots each morning. We told him it was under size and that wasn’t allowed, but of course he couldn’t care less. At the time we didn’t really know that there were such thing as fishery officers, as we’d only really started fishing not to long ago (well stuff like going every weekend not just every now and then) , but now I feel guilty for not doing anything about it.

After a couple years of nothing, they seem to be rehabilitating, as one of my mates got a few and one keeper and I have caught the odd one in my shrimp pots. If that bloke comes back again, I’ll know what to do (slash his pots and let the jennies go) as well as call fisheries before the other two as it could get me in some hot water. Lol.

Sorry for that big story, but I think it is quite important. I reckon in about five years I will start catching some more.

13 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

+ 1 on Raykes suggestion. I even have a spare one you could have. 

@rayke1938 I have seen rayke pick up catties. he holds them around the belly up tight against the spines. I will let him explain it better but it is a safer way to hold them.

Hey Robbie

I have a couple pots, so I can use them every now and then. If I really want a feed of crabs from the river (my mum is the only one who really likes crabs as I’ve never tried them but refuses to eat from the river) I can put them up or down somewhere on the kayak.

11 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

I’m yet to fish with live mullet but it seems to be quite tricky to get something decent to take a live bait I’ll think I’ll stick to dead bait if try shark fishing because it seemed to work amazingly well up at the Whitsundays . Oh and the last photo on your thread with the mullet with a bite mark in it looks like a massive pufferfish took a bite .it looks a lot like a pufferfish tooth Mark when I was up at the Whitsundays I had a stripy head as bait anyway I got a run on the rod I tightened the drag and set the hook the fish felt decent but small for a shark anyway after 5 minutes i got it close to the boat and netted it . It was a massive pufferfish probably around 7kg probably one of the weirdest things I’ve caught I was a little disappointed to say the least lmao.

Hi BwB

If you can get it, it is far better. Don’t be discouraged because you don’t get a hit, and especially not a shark as they can be caught on a bucket load of things! Down your way you’d have a good chance of a big jew if you’re using mullet I suppose 🙂 

A 7 Keg pufferfish is humongous, so it could be a toadfish or pufferfish I supposed. I reckon it might’ve been a shark as you can see the two teeth marks on the side after it.

10 hours ago, GregOug said:

Hi mate,

Good report. How big was the mullet? Looks like something a big larger than a bream had a chomp to me. Also, I’m no expert on live baiting but I would think that the method of inserting the hook into the mullet you used would have killed it almost instantly. We always used to place the hook behind the head and only just below the backbone, into the flesh. Then again I could be totally wrong. Wouldn’t be surprised. 

cheers

Greg

Hey Greg

The mullet was about 15cm long, so it may well have not been a bream. I just thought that as they would have a similar bite to what was left. That method certainly doesn’t kill them. It was kicking around for two or so hours. If you go any deeper though, that is where there’s a problem as you go through their brain.

Cheers Hamish 

6 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I have eaten loads of crabs out of the river, and apart from cancer and this itch that I cant get rid of and the breasts that seem to be growing and the lumps all over my stomach and the mental health issues and the twitch I get in my back and a few other things I'm as good as gold....

That explains a lot..........😁