Mono Or Fluro

bulldogs195461

8 minutes ago, bulldogs195461 said:

I fish with lures, so use braid. I want to set aside a rod with lite gear for my ten yr old, and was going to just run lite fluro 4lb,and put yabbies on for him, also I could use it to try topwater,, say put some mono leader on. Is fluro OK ran right through, or should I use mono, cheers guys 

Probably depends on your budget. Mono will be a lot cheaper. I am no expert but I have read that some of the tournament bream fishers use fluro right through so it will be fine.

Sounds good I first learned how to fish with 4lb mono and it’s a very good way to learn note when I say first learnt I tried fishing with Kmart gear for 2 years with pretty much 0% success and then started with 4lb mono on a cheap shimano reel and a thin fibreglass rod those Kmart rods and reels ruin it for beginners because they give up after not catching anything . anything slightly better gives you a huge advantage 

20 hours ago, bulldogs195461 said:

Thanks guys, I'll probally run the fluro though and a mono leader if using topwater lures, seems the go, cheers 

Flouro all the way through will be OK.

If your topwater style is heavy on long pauses and your particular lure/style doesn't like to be dipped below the surface on each re-start, I'd consider having the mono leader.

Otherwise, generally I like when my topwater does that little dip underwater each time you re-start the retrieve. Allows for more movement while keeping the lure in the hotzone which is sometimes what tempts the fish to come out of hiding or stay in a location where they aren't spooked (shadows).