Night Fishing

Was chatting with another afo member earlier on tonight , and towards the end of the conversation I realised I have been a bit slack with my fishing. As work has just gone crazy , the wind has been crappy and the weekends have to much traffic on the water I think I'm going to focus on some night fishing. Made sure everything is working earlier should be good for Wednesday night when I get back from Coffs

20201206_215258.jpg

1 minute ago, ellicat said:

Wind doesn't look too favourable on Meteye for Wednesday night. Good luck if you go. I don't mind a night fish myself.

Wanted to go tonight but it's blowing pretty hard in the passage I'm keen for jacks , squire or jew I'm not fussy I'd be happy if I caught any of them

I used to do a lot of night fishing when our oldest boy was a baby/toddler as it didn't cut into family time. Enjoyed it, nice and peaceful and in summer the temperature had dropped off. Just check the legalities of your white all-round light as I think they are supposed to be taller than the highest part of the boat (our your head if you are sitting driving) so that it can be seen from all directions.  Good luck Wednesday night, hope you nail some good fish.

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I used to do a lot of night fishing when our oldest boy was a baby/toddler as it didn't cut into family time. Enjoyed it, nice and peaceful and in summer the temperature had dropped off. Just check the legalities of your white all-round light as I think they are supposed to be taller than the highest part of the boat (our your head if you are sitting driving) so that it can be seen from all directions.  Good luck Wednesday night, hope you nail some good fish.

Thanks bud, I put taller pedestals in so I could see crab pot floats as some people like leaving them right in the middle of the channel up this way, the water police have come over for a couple chats and breath tests didn't give me a hard time about the height of the anchor light. I'd be buggered if they did it would have to be around 1400 high

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

Those pots are all over the place in the passage, sometimes you have to zig zag your way though them. Not sure if it is legal to put them in the channels but people do regardless.

I even see them in random spots like the ripples sometimes and around that worm farm at woorim , with all the share farmers around at the moment I wouldn't be game to leave pots out over night it's got pretty bad

Pretty pumped for a night session just picked up my new blade and tails while the truck gets it's brakes done. Pete at allround angler in caboolture looked after me as usual, definitely my favourite tackle shop

20201207_102840.jpg

7 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Sneaky 

It’s looking like a good setup there! Good luck on any of those species! 

I like fishing at night, it’s relaxing and I especially like it on the yak 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

Thanks Hamish,  looking forward to hooking onto an underwater train with it. Was talking to a mate this morning about the Fitzroy he told me to fish the weir in Rocky , I don't know if that info is of any help. Im not even sure where it is but if you Google it you might get some decent info. 

13 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

Thanks Hamish,  looking forward to hooking onto an underwater train with it. Was talking to a mate this morning about the Fitzroy he told me to fish the weir in Rocky , I don't know if that info is of any help. Im not even sure where it is but if you Google it you might get some decent info. 

Hey Sneaky 

Yeah, I have read a little bit about toga and barra being captured there - unless my dad wants to take me there though I doubt I’ll be able to fish it as I have no transport.

Cheers Hamish 

7 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Sneaky 

Yeah, I have read a little bit about toga and barra being captured there - unless my dad wants to take me there though I doubt I’ll be able to fish it as I have no transport.

Cheers Hamish 

Bummer , I've heard there's good barra there. 

13 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Thanks bud, I put taller pedestals in so I could see crab pot floats as some people like leaving them right in the middle of the channel up this way, the water police have come over for a couple chats and breath tests didn't give me a hard time about the height of the anchor light. I'd be buggered if they did it would have to be around 1400 high

Yeah I think they are more serious about it around the Brisbane River mouth due to the larger ships that come in and out.

2 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yeah I think they are more serious about it around the Brisbane River mouth due to the larger ships that come in and out.

Yeah well that makes sense , wouldn't like looking up to see a container ship bearing down on me. Thanks for the heads up bud

On 07/12/2020 at 9:35 AM, Sneaky1 said:

I even see them in random spots like the ripples sometimes and around that worm farm at woorim , with all the share farmers around at the moment I wouldn't be game to leave pots out over night it's got pretty bad

There were pots at the ripples yesterday again. Also in the middle of the channel on the Red just east of the ripples. Visability was great yesterday and water temp 27.5oc. Didn't need a wet suit. There were no crabs on the shellfish reefs yesterday. Plenty of bream, a few nice tuskies (one really big one) and a stack of slatey bream. 

16 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

There were pots at the ripples yesterday again. Also in the middle of the channel on the Red just east of the ripples. Visability was great yesterday and water temp 27.5oc. Didn't need a wet suit. There were no crabs on the shellfish reefs yesterday. Plenty of bream, a few nice tuskies (one really big one) and a stack of slatey bream. 

Any size to the slate bream ?

4 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Sensational @Drop Bear - so many fish and variety 😎

There was some size to those slatey's . Would love to get hold of a camera like the one used in that video for my burley spot . That's awesome but I don't think it would be real cheep.

You can get cheapo ones on E-Bay that would probably do the job ranging from $40-100, granted they most likely won't be as good as the bigger name brands (at 5-10X the price) but still should suffice.

eg:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4K-Full-HD-1080P-Waterproof-Underwater-Sport-Camera-WiFi-Action-Camcorder-DVR-AU/313315576527?hash=item48f3104acf:g:0qAAAOSwPitfvbBj

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Campark-WiFi-4K-Action-Camera-Touch-Screen-20MP-1080P-Sports-Underwater-Video-AU/193663529234?hash=item2d173ef112:g:FbcAAOSww2ZfzcYT

You could also mount them in your boat and record the fishing action too. Most have a wrist watch style remote so you can swith them on and off when required, there are some variations in these cameras even though they may all look the same, different sensors and battery life and battery capacity, so you just have to go through the specs.

7 minutes ago, Ed. said:

You can get cheapo ones on E-Bay that would probably do the job ranging from $40-100, granted they most likely won't be as good as the bigger name brands (at 5-10X the price) but still should suffice.

eg:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4K-Full-HD-1080P-Waterproof-Underwater-Sport-Camera-WiFi-Action-Camcorder-DVR-AU/313315576527?hash=item48f3104acf:g:0qAAAOSwPitfvbBj

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Campark-WiFi-4K-Action-Camera-Touch-Screen-20MP-1080P-Sports-Underwater-Video-AU/193663529234?hash=item2d173ef112:g:FbcAAOSww2ZfzcYT

You could also mount them in your boat and record the fishing action too.

Wow I thought they would start at 3k , thanks for the links Ed your a legend 

Nah, technology marches on, as soon a a company makes something reasonably good, the Chinese companies copy most of it and flog it for a fraction of a price, quality may not be there but the price reflects what you will get and it will still be good enough for most requirements. Also if you loose it one, it's not like it's a major $investment so won't hurt as much.

It is only when you start going into underwater cases that house video or full size cameras that the bucks start to add up big time.