New engine

GregOug

On 17/02/2021 at 9:27 PM, GregOug said:

Lol.

83184E50-D056-4FD4-B2C9-DACBC2ABD002.jpeg

I was just thinking about this. I mean, it’s bloody typical isn’t it! I buy a top of the range V8 outboard. So what do they do almost immediately but bring out a V12. If I bought the V12 there’d be a simultaneous announcement about a V16 release. Lol. Luckily my boat would either immediately sink from the weight, or the transom and engine would hit me in the back on their way through the boat and onwards to Moreton, so I can’t even get tempted.

Personally if I had a suitable large sized boat to fit that much horsepower I also would opt for 2 x 200's or 2 x 250's max. the extra cash I would save would pay for about 10 years fuel, also where could you take it to open it up and use that much horsepower anyway, glassed out days are very few and far between and most times you would push it to even drive at 30 knots. I would rather have the safety of twin motors than one rather big one.

My last boat was a 26ft with a 425HP inboard sterndrive setup, it could do over 40knots, in the 4 years I owned it, I hit that speed once, just to see if I could, the rest of the time it was 24-27 knots.  Things can go badly very quickly at that sort of speed (40Kts and above), by the time you spot something in the water ahead to avoid you will be over it before you can even do a course change.  Apart from the fact that I could see the fuel gauge move spiraling downwards.

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

Personally if I had a suitable large sized boat to fit that much horsepower I also would opt for 2 x 200's or 2 x 250's max. the extra cash I would save would pay for about 10 years fuel, also where could you take it to open it up and use that much horsepower anyway, glassed out days are very few and far between and most times you would push it to even drive at 30 knots. I would rather have the safety of twin motors than one rather big one.

My last boat was a 28ft with a 425HP inboard sterndrive setup, it could do over 40knots, in the 4 years I owned it, I hit that speed once, just to see if I could, the rest of the time it was 24-27 knots.  Things can go badly very quickly at that sort of speed (40Kts and above), by the time you spot something in the water ahead to avoid you will be over it before you can even do a course change.  Apart from the fact that I could see the fuel gauge move spiraling downwards.

Agreed Ed however I think they are targeted at the huge, previously ‘inboard only’ market. As you are no doubt aware, having been a previous sterndrive owner, having the motor onboard can be a real pain in the ......