Brisbane River Session #94 (Crabbing!)

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Bad luck Hamish, empty crabs do taste putrid. You will only make that mistake once. The other lesson you have probably figured out is to try to pick up the pots at top or bottom of the tide in areas where the run is strong enough to hide your floats. Keep trying mate, you will get a cooker soon.

12 hours ago, Kat said:

Great job Hamish.  If you do some reading and research I believe the taste of the crab is probably more likely to do with when it has molted.  If it has recently molted it fills itself with fluid to get rid of the old shell and until it grows back into the new shell the space is filled with that watery fluid.  Don't give up - you should have kept the other crab because it may have tasted slot better.

Cheers Kat

Hey Kat

Thanks. I guess if it has molted in some dirty water then it might've not been nice.

8 hours ago, Neil Stratford said:

Epic effort ,  and great read .

I think Kat may be right , sounds like you may have kept and cooked up an empty crab.

Look underneath the crab for a dark chocolate or golden colouration ,  this usually means they’re full.

Be careful though,  the full crabs are really strong and more difficult to handle.

The  ones which are shiny white beneath and very clean looking  are usually empty and poor eating.

Good to see you got out and had some fun .

At least you got away with all your fingers and toes intact. 🙈😄

Great effort !!

Hey Neil

Oh, that would make sense too. I didn't really know how to tell if he was 'full 'or not, so we just checked he was legal. I had a hard enough time handling this one so if we get a big brown one I think that will be for Dad to handle 😉 . Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Bad luck Hamish, empty crabs do taste putrid. You will only make that mistake once. The other lesson you have probably figured out is to try to pick up the pots at top or bottom of the tide in areas where the run is strong enough to hide your floats. Keep trying mate, you will get a cooker soon.

Hey Steve

Thanks, yeah, I won't be taking another crab home that looks like him again, that's for sure. I had some idea that crabs could be empty or full but I had no clue it influenced the taste. And I will certainly be sure to check on a tide change tide next time, it would make it so much easier than needing to come back and forth 😅

18 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice work catching some crabs Hamish, keep persisting and just like your fishing you'll work out some patterns and will hopefully catch some tasty full ones. Just to clarify, did you use the water from the river to cook the crab or just tap water with salt added?

Hi KM

Thanks, crabbing is fun so I think I'll do more of it over time! I know it may have been a factor but I made my own salt water, I've seen lots of mixed opinions about it so I figured I couldn't go too wrong 😉 (which I did, but hopefully not from the salt water). 

Cheers Hamish

@Kat such good ideas, thanks for those.   Must admit I've not noticed a difference in the taste of Brissy river crabs that aren't full - but it makes a lot of sense - particularly given the state of the river after 3 weeks of runoff and pretty dirty water.....  or maybe it's because I like them chilli style.... 🙂

Hamish - I'm stoked that you and your dad caught some though, absolutely terrific to see - and thanks for your snaps.

7 minutes ago, RustyHooka said:

@Kat such good ideas, thanks for those.   Must admit I've not noticed a difference in the taste of Brissy river crabs that aren't full - but it makes a lot of sense - particularly given the state of the river after 3 weeks of runoff and pretty dirty water.....  or maybe it's because I like them chilli style.... 🙂

Hamish - I'm stoked that you and your dad caught some though, absolutely terrific to see - and thanks for your snaps.

Ha ha.  I have recently been crabbing myself for the first time.  I have started writing a report and will post it soon...

That would be annoying. You could try tying a couple of very large loops of line around the bait so when you pull it up, there will be a good chance that the muddie will have some of it's legs tangled up in those loops. That will help to pull it up but don't know what effect it will have on any fish you are targeting! 😄

Thanks for the read Hamish, glad you got some reward for your efforts.

Sometimes the colouring of a crab can be deceiving as to whether it has recently moulted or not and  is full or not. I`ve found the fool proof way of checking the fullness of a crab is; turn the crab over and using your  your thumbs and fingers either side of the carapace to hold the crab, press firmly on the abdomen plates (using your thumbs) adjacent to the third legs….if the shell flexes at all, the crab is not full.

Good on you guys for making the extra effort to go back to check for/recover your pots that were `missing` on your first checks…
so many numpties out there would have jumped to their conclusion that ‘share farmers’/low life`s had stolen their pots, and then flooded fishing/cabbing sites/FB pages with their false tales of woe

On 06/04/2021 at 8:41 AM, kmcrosby78 said:

No problem making your own saltwater Hamish - better than using water from the Brisbane River (particularly down your way 🙂). Once you (or your Dad) get more comfortable handling the crabs, try pinching under the carapace (crab body) - this will indicate if the crab is full or empty.

Yeah, I would've thought that too. Lol, it's not Dad who can't handle them, it's me, it took about fifteen minutes to try and pick up that one crab 😊.

On 06/04/2021 at 8:53 AM, Kat said:

Ha ha.  Given my recent experience I am not sure I will ever be brave enough to do that - but yes I have been told and shown you can sort of push certain parts of the crab to see if it is empty or full.  The other way is definitely looking at the colour of the shell - if it is nice and clean it has probably recently molted.  Also look at the teeth on the claws - if they are sharp and looking unused it has also probably recently molted.  And yes they taste horrid.  But a good one tastes great 😸

I'll be looking forward to your report Kat. Thanks for the tips.

23 hours ago, RustyHooka said:

Hey Rusty

Cheers! Hopefully not the last crabs I catch either 🙂 

22 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Same although when I go crabbing I get massive mud crabs when using baits on rod/reel setups intended for flathead or Jew and then when I try and land them they drop the bait and swim to the bottom .then I go check the crab pots and I only get tiny blue swimmers or small mud crabs and sometimes small leather jacket and bream somehow end up in the crab pots 

First world problems. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Gad said:

Thanks for the read Hamish, glad you got some reward for your efforts.

Sometimes the colouring of a crab can be deceiving as to whether it has recently moulted or not and  is full or not. I`ve found the fool proof way of checking the fullness of a crab is; turn the crab over and using your  your thumbs and fingers either side of the carapace to hold the crab, press firmly on the abdomen plates (using your thumbs) adjacent to the third legs….if the shell flexes at all, the crab is not full.

Good on you guys for making the extra effort to go back to check for/recover your pots that were `missing` on your first checks…
so many numpties out there would have jumped to their conclusion that ‘share farmers’/low life`s had stolen their pots, and then flooded fishing/cabbing sites/FB pages with their false tales of woe

Hey Gad

I'm glad you enjoyed. Thank you for the tips about checking the fullness. The next time we catch some/if we catch some we will have to try doing it that way. Yeah, I always here about stolen pots. I think that if people put in a bit more effort then they'd find them just how they left them!

Cheers Hamish

• AUS-BNE-FISHO changed the title to Brisbane River Session #94 (Crabbing!)