Help with ID-ing crab - Brisbane River

Philippp

Hi everyone, first time posting 

I would like some help identifying a species of crab that keeps entering my crab pot in Hawthorne 

Photos attached below

When I use to catch mud crabs >10 years ago (exact same spot) they were the large with a greenish appearance, with a paddle like rear leg on either side, similar to the ones sold in all fish markets, but for the past two days I keep getting these ones, no paddle and white under the claw, dark black on the top side

So my question is

- What species are they, are they edible??, and whats the legal size for them? (Only kept catching small ones)

All crabs were released 

Thanks in advance

Philip

FE6AF08B-DDC1-4A64-8460-C14056BE604C.jpeg

44126BEC-62CE-42E8-9369-46BD2056DEF8.jpeg

BA82C64B-C25C-45A3-B0F6-5061322A9A9E.jpeg

603CADB9-1691-460E-B779-AE91A752F175.jpeg

Edited by Philippp
Added extra photo on 3rd day - same type of crab

G'day @Philippp

If I am not mistaken, you should be very careful dealing with those crabs. They are a species of stone crabs that are poisonous to eat and have very strong claws.

image.thumb.png.746e26b5b5047dfc0766276b9c70067f.png

I read this sometime ago when researching a few spots in the river. Taken from Brisbane Hooked on Fishing group on Facebook. 

Cheers Hamish

4 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

G'day @Philippp

If I am not mistaken, you should be very careful dealing with those crabs. They are a species of stone crabs that are poisonous to eat and have very strong claws.

image.thumb.png.746e26b5b5047dfc0766276b9c70067f.png

I read this sometime ago when researching a few spots in the river. Taken from Brisbane Hooked on Fishing group on Facebook. 

Cheers Hamish

Wow! Thanks for sharing this, a bit of a shame that they have been the only crabs found crawling into my pots this past few days 

I hope they didn’t chase off all the edible muddies in the area 😢