Jewies/Threadies

mzaakir

Hey guys, I want to ask a couple questions, and see what other people do. 

So, do you guys use 160mm and 220mm plastics for jewies and threadies? And how do you rig them if you do.

When throwing 4-5inch plastics i quite often add a stinger hook, and change the size as i increase the plastic size, do any of you do that and what size treble do you use for different size plastics

I don't bother with any plastics over 5" for those two.....yes they will eat larger if they are hungry, probably not if they are not. 4 & 5" plastics will be eaten at most times.

If I do attach a stinger it is just that, a stinger hook not a treble....I do not pin the stinger to the bait.

I do specifically throw 8" hard bodies for jew though when things are happening.....bait schools being smashed at night in the shallows etc....avoids a lot of those bloody tailor thankfully.

2 hours ago, mzaakir said:

I want to try the Molix RT Fork Flex, i use vibes a fair bit for jewies adn threadies but getting more into plastics

To be honest, I have had success with forkflex lures, but I don't think they are worth the price.

For the most part I use squidgies, powerbait and the occasional zman.....none of them out perform each other. If the fish are feeding and you present well they will take anything in most colours.

Colours....here we go. I have caught jew and threadies on most colours....there are a few that I prefer to start with though.

White....probably the most productive colour for me over the past 40 years.

Bland bait colours....leading towards greys and light browns....my go to option outside of white. Generally most productive in clearer waters when fish are sight hunting.

Something close to the water colour....ayu, watermelon, pumpkinseed, most of the lighter shades of green.

Clear, I have caught lots of snapper and a few jew on clear plastics....most notably Berkley 4" Powerbait in Casper Clear....it does not matter what colour the water is or day or night, they just work well.

Flouro colours - electric chicken etc, they have caught me fish but nowhere near as well as something that looks natural.

Keep all your plastisol damaged lures, not the stretchy ones. Buy a cheap swimbait open pour mould and melt the old lures down and recast them. It is fun and you can blend colours for something different and the baits will work fine.