Rusted axle can it be saved?

lfgfish

Hi guys, this is my first boat and I noticed the paint on my axle was bubbling so I brushed it off and it's rusted a bit (see pics). Do you think it can be saved with some rust converter and repaint or should I have it replaced? There's paint bubbles and rust along the shaft but the worst seems to be at the mounts.

20240627_160429.jpg

20240627_160353.jpg

When you replace the axle and springs it is a good idea to wrap the springs and axle in denso tape to limit the amount of water can reach the steel or galvanizing.

Raw steel items wrapped in denso tape will last for many decades without any rust forming.

The next best alternative is to coat it all in heavy Ensis Fluid / bitumen for a similarly long life. Do not use the light form, the heavy form is sort of like treacle in consistency....it self heals from stone chips.

Ensis fluid is no longer available in Australia, the nearest product to it is Septone Rust Shield.   Unknown how penetrating it is compared to Ensis Fluid (ensis fluid sprayed on one side of 1mm sheet steel would penetrate through to the other side of the steel over a period of years) but it seems to be a very similar product.

http://www.septone.com.au/product/l/rust-shield-4l