Fish of the Year

ellicat

I was thinking of having a Fish of the Year comp, where members nominate a fish from the Monthly comp Leaderboard thread each month. At the end of the year, I'll put up a poll for everyone (all members, not just contestants) to vote on.

Prize would be a $50 universal voucher to spend anywhere.

I would start it in September.

Thoughts ?

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Any criteria or are voters free to choose a fish based on anything they like? Good idea, @ellicat

Whatever floats someone's boat to vote how they like. Anything can be taken into account, even the story that surrounds it, that might make it memorable. That's what I'm thinking at this stage, but happy with any input and ideas from the community before it starts.

5 hours ago, Huxstang said:

Nice but I dont know if it needs a cash value….bragging rights is enough surely

I thought I'd change it up a bit for an annual prize. Might get some members more active, too.

Just my personal thought , but I rather see quality written articles/reports , rather than just a trophy fish photos.

Fish of the year is ok , but I’d like to see it compiled with a quality well written report. 

Yes ,a small reward might get some  interesting contributions submitted that are well worth reading and also keep the forum strong.

Report of the Month used to be a thing, but died from lack of action unfortunately. Writing a 'good report' is a bit limiting as a lot of members find that writing is not their strong point. A bit of a story with a fish pic is the easiest option to open it up imho.

Opening it up to come from a report, rather than just submissions to the Monthly comp, is a good idea. That may help to sell credentials of what makes a particular fish special.

Keep the ideas and comments coming.

Nothing is set in stone yet. I, hopefully, will come up with something the community likes, in the end. Keeping in mind that even a labour of love has its limits.

Love the idea, feel like it should also based on memorability not just the fish, very hard to compare a massive yellowfin tuna once in a lifetime catch that was caught offshore to a longtail tuna caught landbased after months and years of grinding. Just the way i think about it. 

58 minutes ago, mzaakir said:

Love the idea, feel like it should also based on memorability not just the fish, very hard to compare a massive yellowfin tuna once in a lifetime catch that was caught offshore to a longtail tuna caught landbased after months and years of grinding. Just the way i think about it. 

Yes, this is how I see it as well. Putting a story around a fish will no doubt influence how people vote. It will be a member poll not a  judge selection.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m for it Brian @ellicat. Fish of the month via nomination/most votes each month then decide the fish of the year out of these 12 by poll?

I will put some skin in the game. I have an old surf rod here from a fellow AFOer (thanks @Bretto77!) that I will rebuild and offer to the inaugural winner of the 24-25 comp.

(Just a thought - Might be worth ending it June 30 2025 so we can align with FY? If so there are 10 months til July 1 2025 = top 10 for the first year for a greater chance of winning?)