Aluminium boats with floors

Old Scaley

Thats good advice MJ.    I have a sealed ally floor and 4mm plate but I think I will once a year put her nose down and give an internal flush.  I have had water in the bilge from the transom inspection hatch seal being unseated, only found out when I was fishing around the bung and found a bit of rubber (turned out to be the O ring).

BCF have a sale on 5l of engine flush at the moment as well….$87 instead of $120. (Not Salty Captain but another brand).

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought mine I had something similar... always taking on water but never distressing amounts. Like you I assumed it was the bungs but to be certain I took the floor out and put it in the river so I could see where it was leaking. I was surprised to find it was coming in from the starboard strake about half way up the length. Took it to my local aluminium welder and he found an 8" long crack in the weld at the strake, which opened up to about 15" as soon as he put the TIG on it. You never know what 20 years of stresses will do to a hull. Had it welded up along with a few other minor repairs (think the previous owner had a drill fetish, I had over a dozen old mounting holes welded up and there's still a few left!) and it's been a solid boat ever since. It's still 20+ years old though so I'm fairly paranoid and frequently check the bilge (I put a hatch in the floor above the bilge pump so I could do so any time). Like a couple of the other guys here have said I flush the interior every 5-10 outings too... that not only cleans the interior, it also flushes and lets me test the bilge pump. I'm still considering putting in a secondary bilge pump as a backup... can't be too careful.