Measuring Fish in Qld

Old Scaley

Just wondering if anyone here shares my view that we should change the way fish are measured for legal size here in Queensland? It would be much simpler to measure fish to the fork for fish with a concave tail instead of to the tip of the tail. 3 people could measure to the tip and get 3 different results. The fork measurement is much more consistent. That is how the guys that do fish surveys at the boat ramp do it, so why not the rest of us? 

I think fork measuring is the only absolute way for concave tailed fish.

Really annoys me when you get the tip of the tail pulled down to make them meet the minimum measure.....

if it is that close to needing pulling a tip then it should go back.

Snapper should also have the minimum size increased to 45cm fork length...they can grow to well over a metre.

Nice idea Steve. I think many have tried to promote measuring to the fork in the past as it is more accurate than total length as manipulation of the tail can change the measurement substantially.

The fisheries regs say minimum legal size is the total length of fish “as it lies naturally on the measuring board” so by the letter of the law  you shouldn't manipulate the tail in any way to reach mls. 

2 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Nice idea Steve. I think many have tried to promote measuring to the fork in the past as it is more accurate than total length as manipulation of the tail can change the measurement substantially.

The fisheries regs say minimum legal size is the total length of fish “as it lies naturally on the measuring board” so by the letter of the law  you shouldn't manipulate the tail in any way to reach mls. 

It is possible to change the way things are measured...they did it with sand crabs....there is hope