Help for spinning fishing rod and gear (I dream a tuna)

Lucio

Hi all guys...I am an Italian guy who is traveling to australia...I would like to buy a new spinning fishing rod to use mostly from the reef with comes out various types of artificials...both for light fishing but also give me security in case of strikes with big fish, why not some nice tuna (dreaming costs nothing)...unlike me in europe here I have seen many rods that go by line range, while from us they go by bait weight range. 
If you can help me I would like to know.
what length?
What line range for a rod that will allow me to cast light baits but also hold up to strikes from big fish? 
What size is the reel?
How many pounds of line?
What are the best baits?
sorry for my bad English i help myself with a translator 

thanks for the help!!!

Welcome Lucio

And your translation is fine.  And yes the way we classify rods is a mess.  It is a mix of line class in both PE (Japanese), imperial (pounds), casting weights and sometimes drag weight.

When you say reef fishing I guess it depends where and how often.  If you were fishing the Great Barrier Reef and relatively shallow water where you catch coral trout and red throat emperor sized fish I would say a 7 foot (2.1m) rod in the PE3-4 class would be fine (example Wilson Venom RLFV14).

If fishing deeper reef waters where you will get some much bigger fish (red emperor) you might want to consider PE5-6 or even PE 5-8 (15-24kg).   Reel wise I would say on the lighter rods a Shimano SW series 6000 size and on heavier you need the increased drag and that means more like a SW8000-14000.  

You could go with a longer rod (@ 2.4m) in the lighter class for casting stick baits and metal slugs - an example of what I have is a Wilson Venom Stickbait 1 with a Shimano Saragosa 14000.  It is fine for anything other than the very large giant trevally.

For inshore reef systems like around here in Brisbane you can fish quite light with regards to rods but I would still stay around the 2.1m length for fishing artificial baits.  I fish with rods that are generally rated for 7gm to 28gm lures which might be considered to be 10-20lb rods.  These work on our closer in reefs as well but once you start to get deeper where you can get bigger fish like Kingfish you might be a bit under powered.  I generally use Shimano Twin Power and Sustain 5000 and 3000 with rods like and Edge 704 (8-14lb), Venom RLFV9 (12-30lb rated) and Bone BVS704ML.  

Good luck with your travels and let us all know where you are going to be fishing and what you catch  

As Huxtang says above is correct.

I would not go fishing in Moreton Bay (or any inshore reefs) without a 2.1m 3-6kg graphite rod paired with a Shimano Stradic 2500 or similar for the snapper and reef fish. Load this with 15lb braid and have a selection of 12, 15 and 20 lb leader to suit all baits and fish. This setup is also suitable for the longtail tuna, but might be left short for the yellowfin tuna if you head offshore.

Lots of guys here fish 2-4kg rods for snapper as well....it is quite thrilling to land a 10kg fish on a 2-4kg rod and 15lb braid.

The lighter rods are also going to be your go to for rivers and creeks for the most part.

Do some research for closed seasons for your visit...would be awful to land here and be smack in the middle of a closed season in your area.

Where are you looking to visit?

Guys thank you so much for your response and advice. Sorry I didn't answer right away but it's a very busy time at work, and the only free day I escaped fishing by renting a kayak. I caught a nice queenfish and a spanish mackarel. Too bad lifting me mackarel moved and the hooks of the lures ended up in 2 fingers. Once they got me ashore I had to go to the hospital because very deep...what an adventure...though the mackarel came home with me!!! I am overjoyed with these two catches.

I am currently in the karratha area in northern wester australia, probably for another month... then I would like to quickly soost east, follow the coast and go down... I don't have a clear plan as far as timing! I would definitely like to follow the coast and see as much as possible!
If you have places to recommend please write! Thank you

Have a look at the Ugly Stik rods in the Platinum or Gold series, around the 6-7ft range, they are very break resilient and you can use them for  up or down a line class from the line rating of the rod, you an even high stick them!  (but not their newer high graphite ones so be aware). The Karratha/Dampier  area has a lot of big trevally , mackerel, sharks etc. check size and bag limits and also if you need a fishing license.