Caught in time

Huxstang

I was dicking around and decided I might try some POR15 on the boat wheels to try and tidy them up.  (Should have gone with alloy wheels but cheaped out).

Anyway even though I have been greasing the bearing buddies I gave the hub a spin and heard gravel instead of bearings.  So pulled the hub and found that the hub was sealed with a standard road style hub seal (12 month old Dunbier trailer) and a bit of a clean and the bearings were toasted - nice and rusted.

Looks like we dodged a bullet with a long trip last week on bearings that clearly were buggered.

So off to Couplemate and picked up 4 sets of Ford LM bearings and I now have a bit of work before my next trip.

Note to self, clean and repack wheel bearings every 6 months.

2 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Lucky !

It's a source of anxiety for me when I'm going further than the local ramps. I have mine done for me every year.

I prefer to do them myself.  Been servicing my old landcruiser myself for donkeys years and you have to repack wheel bearings on them every 20k km.  

They boat bearing are $30 a set, so for me it is $120 plus some grease and ends up a few hours work.  It may be that I am a tight arse but I also dont trust that it will be done properly.   I doubt any shop would clean the hubs as thoroughly as me, nor pack the bearings and hubs with grease to my standards.

If anyone here is unsure on how to do what is an easy job just say so and I will host a session here when I do the other hubs in the next week or  can come over and give some guidance when you do your own.

Good idea, @Huxstang, and very generous of you.

I get mine done at Coorparoo Marine when I get the whole trailer serviced. I know the lads there and have known the owner outside of his business for nearly 20 years, so I'm comfortable with that. I use to do my own back in the day, but it's a grubby job and I'm too lazy. haha

If you're up for it, we could get together and make a video of you doing it.