Brisbane River Session #310-#315

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hi all,

I've managed to sneak out for a few sessions recently albeit none were too successful. First fish was last Thursday at Tennyson, where I arrived with @charlie.hans.fishing and some of our other mates shortly after sunrise. Despite catching a few prawns and herring there the prior night in the net, I could not locate any bait so we casted some deadbaits out. It wasn't long before a couple of catties graced us with their presence, but things were definitely looking down when we started to run out of deadbait. A few catties and perch later I had managed to catch a large mullet (strip bait) and a medium sized mullet (which I sent out on a snell rig to no avail). We headed off at about 10:30AM when the tide changed, and a quick 6KM walk later I was home. 

Stats:

Tide: 10AM, .6M, Low. 

Moon: 61.5%

Bait Used/Caught: Mullet

Fish: Catfish and perch

Air Pressure: 1014

Humidity: 79%

Overall Success Rate: 30%

The next day I was back at it at Sherwood - I arrived to the jetty shortly before 6 and tried my luck with the net. Once again, there was minimal bait about, but eventually I saved myself by getting another large mullet. I sent out a few pieces and over the next hour pulled in a couple catties and eels. Unfortunately, when my mate came down that's when the fish stopped biting and we caught nothing else for the next two hours. 

Stats:

Tide: 6AM, 1.3M, High, 12PM, .3M, Low. 

Moon: 72%

Fish: Catfish, eels

Air Pressure: 1014

Humidity: 69%

On Saturday morning, my Dad and I went for a fish together for some bass. We arrived at the chosen location a bit before sunrise and were flicking our cicadas in the prime spot before and during sunrise. To our disappointment, there were no first cast hookups, and it was very quiet for the first part of the session. 

About 30 minutes into flicking, my Dad hooked up to a nice bass right in a snag. As he pulled it out, a little shark came out and bit it in half. After watching the bullies (about 5) swim around for around 5 minutes, and feeding the other half of the bass to one of the sharks, we decided to move spots to somewhere there didn't appear to be sharks to avoid wasting any more fish. This didn't pay off though, because we caught nothing for the rest of the morning (left at about 6:45AM anyway). 

Stats:

Tide: 9:00AM, 1.5M, High. 

Moon: 80%

Lures: Cicada surface lures, I tried a diver as well. 

Fish: Bass x 1

Air Pressure: 1016

Humidity: 70%

Overall Success Rate: 50% - not a donut

That arvo after work I was back at it this time trying in the salt again with @Thorbjorn Hale. I arrived a bit before Thorbjorn and managed to get a bucket of herring as well as a fat stingray (it put up a solid fight so it was a good way to test my new Diawa Free Swimmer and Abu Garcia Veritas combo) but after that it went quiet.

Thorbs then casted out a couple of baits and landed two or three stingrays, some bream, and catties throughout the night, as well as a undersize jewie which flopped off before we could get it up on the jetty (on the last of some squid I caught a while ago). A few catties later we were each pretty cold so decided to call it quits and head off, pretty satisfied with the session. 

Stats:

Tide: 7:00PM, 2.4M, High. 

Moon: 81%

Bait Used/Caught: Live herring, squid, silver biddy, prawn. 

Fish: Bream, catfish, jewie, stingray

Air Pressure: 1013

Humidity: 55%

Overall Success Rate: 60%

I went out again at Sherwood on Sunday arvo after work, with no real expectations. Caught up with a couple of my mates and we wound in a catty or two. Also got bricked by something that was putting up an alright fight but this was likely just a larger catty since it was on some stinky mullet. As expected there was no livebait with the near high tide and I also had to jump in because my mate dropped one of my buckets into the river (supposedly by accident) ... 

Stats:

Tide: 2:20PM, .3M, Low, 9PM, 2.3M, High

Moon: 90%

Fish: Catfish

Air Pressure: 1011

Humidity: 55%

I slept in today but went for another quick fish with @charlie.hans.fishing at a creek near us. We arrived a bit past midday and sent a couple of baits out. It wasn't long before we were getting nibbles and I got off the donut with a little catty. The bites stayed quiet though apart from two mystery fish that took off relatively quickly but reefed us before we got a look at them. My guess would just be more catties but unfortunately (starting to see a common theme with this word in my reports) we will never know. 

Stats:

Tide: 3:20PM, .2M, Low

Moon: 96%

Fish: Catfish

Air Pressure: 1015

Humidity: 44%

Overall Success Rate: 70% 

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed. Going up to Yeppoon for a few days now so hopefully some fishing action up there. Sorry no photos this time.

Cheers Hamish

Keep at it Hamish you’ll crack the code eventually.

Did you ever collate your data and graph it out as I suggested awhile back ? 
You have some very  good data collected , pity it’s not on an excel spread sheet though .

More than 25 years ago I graphed out heaps of similar data on a host of species at a heap of locations .

Ive dug out a couple of my old graphs as examples for you and attached them below.

These show some of my old snapper catches made many many  years ago out east of Moreton island ie time of year and moon stages. I also have graphs of Nos of species vs stages of tides  etc etc for many estuary species. 

It might be helpful for you if you did the same for Jew and Threadies in the mid  reaches of the river where you seem to concentrate your efforts . Hope this helps you , at least  if anything,  it will help you with stats and data processing for you school work 😀!

Regards ,

Neil

IMG_5042.jpeg

IMG_5041.jpeg

On 16/9/2024 at 8:17 PM, ellicat said:

I haven't fished since the 23rd of July, with only an excuse for 2 weeks, so you're winning in my eyes.

Good luck up at Yeppoon.

Cheers Brian, hope you can get out for a cast soon.

On 16/9/2024 at 9:30 PM, mangajack said:

Great reports as always Hamish.

Good luck with the fishing over your holidays.

Thanks @mangajack. I’m going to give some of the spots you recommended a crack in these next couple of days so hopefully I will have some action to report back.

On 17/9/2024 at 9:52 AM, Rebel said:

Great report. Good luck in Yeppoon.

Haven't been fishing for over a week. The winds are too strong & the swell on the Coast is 3.5 metres somedays & it is freezing cold some mornings.

Warming up later in the week.

Cheers Rebel, hope the weather gets better soon.

2 hours ago, Neil Stratford said:

Keep at it Hamish you’ll crack the code eventually.

Did you ever collate your data and graph it out as I suggested awhile back ? 
You have some very  good data collected , pity it’s not on an excel spread sheet though .

More than 25 years ago I graphed out heaps of similar data on a host of species at a heap of locations .

Ive dug out a couple of my old graphs as examples for you and attached them below.

These show some of my old snapper catches made many many  years ago out east of Moreton island ie time of year and moon stages. I also have graphs of Nos of species vs stages of tides  etc etc for many estuary species. 

It might be helpful for you if you did the same for Jew and Threadies in the mid  reaches of the river where you seem to concentrate your efforts . Hope this helps you , at least  if anything,  it will help you with stats and data processing for you school work 😀!

Regards ,

Neil

IMG_5042.jpeg

IMG_5041.jpeg

Thanks for the advice Neil. I do have some graphs that I have made for different tides at different spots and I think I have figured out a pattern or two about the best tides for some spots.