Kiwi who will be new to Aussie in 2025

Hi guys. I am a Kiwi guy in my 20s who will be over in the gold coast for a week at the start of November and planning to properly move over to Queensland next year. At home I mostly fish for snapper and kahawai (salmon for you guys) and am keen to have a go at some new species. 

Am tossing up bringing a basic setup over in November and flicking some lures around the parks near the gold coast seaway or any other easy access land-based locations I can find. Would love to hear any advice or thoughts anyone has on this area, and even better if any of you are free around this time would be cool to meet up for a cruisy land-based mission. Cheers guys. 

G'day, welcome aboard.

For the Goldie land based I would opt for a 2-4kg or 3-6kg 2.1m spin setup with about 12lb braid.

Quite a lot of locations land based in the rivers and canals that are decent fishing, albeit not as productive as your home country.

The goldie is fairly limited on ocean rock fishing with few options but plenty of surf beach options...will require a 3.5 to 4.5m long rod though....not usually viable for air travel.

The Seaway landbased is usually a miserable affair....yes there are big fish there, often well educated and avoid most baits, plus landing them is a real challenge. It is far better fished from a boat.

If I was holidaying down there I would probably look to hire a kayak and fish the rivers and creeks....there is a massive amount of area to cover in the region.

Also be aware that the Tweed River system (southern end of the Goldie) is in New South Wales and requires a fishing licence, Queensland does not.