Anyone going to sneak out Friday?

Huxstang

I was going to take advantage of the good forecast, but will be at home installing a new electric winch. Mine failed whilst retrieving the boat on Monday, 1 foot from being in the fully secured position. Had to back the car rear wheels into the water and float the boat on.

Good luck. Should be a cracking day.

5 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Looks like a top day out. I have been roped into helping friends move house today. Also just picked up a new car last week and towing not recommended until after the first service at 3000km, so I am going to have to rely on my fishing buddies with boats for another 2500km. 

What did you get Steve?

Well I spent the afternoon around Bongaree teabagging plastics and marking lots of rubble patches.

NE about 15 knots at times was ok in the passage.

Spinnaker boat ramp was busy at noon today...stood in line for 15 minutes to get onto one of the 4 lanes.

Trailer park was about 85% full with only about 5 spots free.

Most boats took advantage of the nice morning and shot offshore...must have been 50 or 60 boats come back past me this arvo....geez there is some different sorts of offshore boats these days.....one looked like a houseboat with a pair of 400 mercs on the back...

Anyways,the run out tide even though a small tide was pretty dirty so I didn't expect good results but manages 4 squire...3 were legal, 1 grassy just legal, 2 flathead both legal and 1 undersized cod. About a dozen grinners for the afternoon too.

No fish came home.

I used the Colmslie Boat ramp for the first time in ages.  Now without sounding like a snob - it seems its being used as a dumping ground for peoples crap trailers and boats.  Bays taken up everywhere with everything from rubbish to builders trailers.   Council arrived when I was leaving and were taking photo’s.  Who knows if they will do anything.

Anyway went out mid morning just for a run after the motor service on Tuesday.  Got smoked on a 3.5” curly prawn on southside of Gateway bridge - something very fast took exception to the hook in its mouth and the leader snapped.

Went down to the POB and sounded around - suprised to see some long tail tuna busting up just near clara rock beacon.  Only thing I saw on livescope was about a 2m shark cruising around just east of the beacon.  Glad I didnt hook anything!! 

Flicked around without any luck so decided to head out to Mud.  

Out at Mud I threw in the pole and could see some better sized fish cruising above the bait.  A succession of grinners including one who totally engulfed a Zerek vibe (greedy bastard) which was an absolute b$#ch to get out.

Then hooked about a 5’ shark by the looks of it that or we have black kings in 7m of water now.  Couple of short runs towards the boat and got it up towards the boat and then it took off at a million miles an hour, I was about to chase it on the electric as only using a Conquest 200 with 150m of braid on it when the braid parted.  I was actually going to try trunking a shark if I had landed it.  Everyone says they eat alright if you trunk them so a bit disappointed.  White Zerek 4” Prawn did the damage….they seem quite good but a bit expensive.  

Weather was magic.  

And that was about it.  Headed in, the river was running crazy with some serious chop.  You wouldnt have had a good time trying to fish the POB and under the Gateway was impossible.  Massive current.

Wasnt too bad.  Got my feet wet which is something I am not used to. 🤣

There was a two masted yatch tied up to the pontoon when I came in which was making things difficult, although the numb skull with the jet ski who was f$^king around on the ramp for 15mins was making it worse.

Just tied the bow rope onto the winch pole and gave it a pop off when I launched.  

Then drove boat onto the trailer and latched it no dramas.  Fortunately I have pretty long legs so stepped down onto the guard and into the water.  Couldnt get down over the bow because of the trolling motor, bow ladder and livescope pole.  Too many “essential things” on this boat 😎