New Lifejacket Rules from Dec 1st

ellicat

In part its a good thing but more so it's a bad thing, what the world needs is responsibility.

People know the risks and it should be their responsibility to decide on what they do for their safety, if you don't do it and you die that's on you, mandatory safety rules/laws are the reason we no longer have anything resembling common sense.

I can't knock the rule except I think it should be changed to 6m boats instead of 4.8m.

I will have to change my procedures to enforce the lifejacket rule....I very seldom wear one but I know I should.

I still feel stupid wearing a crash helmet on a motorbike.....for 30 years i only wore my akubra on the bike.

This reminds me, I am due to service the jackets again.

3 hours ago, Bob9863 said:

In part its a good thing but more so it's a bad thing, what the world needs is responsibility.

People know the risks and it should be their responsibility to decide on what they do for their safety, if you don't do it and you die that's on you, mandatory safety rules/laws are the reason we no longer have anything resembling common sense.

Totally respect your opinion, Bob. Problem is the dying is the easy part. It’s what the deceased leaves behind that is the really hard stuff. When that young guy disappeared somewhere around Mud Island a while ago, it was heartbreaking to see his family and friends at the boat ramp every day for weeks asking people to keep looking. Not to mention all the resources that go into search and rescue.