When to Set the Hook?????

EMP

I've just started holding a rod a few weeks ago and to help myself with a bit of basic knowledge, I've been reading stuff on the internet.

I'm confused as to when to set the hook, when to pull the trigger. Does the line have to get "heavy" continuosly or just a sort of a strong "thud" should make me snap the rod already? And what about "bites" and "nibbles", can we entice stubborn fish who would not "strike" hard on the hook?

Often, I just follow my instinct on pulling the rod. :unsure:

Thanks everyone. :)

EMP

for HB lures: hard strike as soon as feel anything that's not the bottom. ( though troy told me not to strike when breaming as they tend to go back and have another bite and a strike will only spook them)

for SP: hard strike as along as it's not the bottom or nibble.

for bait: i wait till a continous pull from the fish b4 strike. i tend to let the rod tip follow the line for 10-100cm b4 strike depending on the fish, bait, hook placement and current.

Sorry kev but I have to disagree on the softies. I think a sharp but soft strike is much more effective and you watch the line more than anything as the strike usually comes as the lure is floating back down.

With hardbodies the fish more often than not hook themselves and I generally just lift the rod up.

For baitfishing allowing the fish to take the bait as much as possible is best.

Just my opinions though, everyone's different and it varies species to species. Some fish bite and some fish inhale so you have to deal with them differently.

On nearly every fishing show, when bait fiahing, they generally say don't strike until you feel the fish's weight. I think that this meaans don't strike on the little taps, but as soon as you feel the fish swimming with the bait, strike quickly to set the hook.

But it does vary from species to species, the type of line being used (mono or braid/GSP) and the length of line out at the time (in 100m of water, you really need to pull up hard to take out the stretch from mono at that length)

depends on a lot of things, you can really lean on a long rod and mono to set a hook and be ok. But if you do the same with a short rod and braid you could end up with fish lips.

The most important thing is to like cowfish said..feel the weight.

it all comes with practice EMP, all fish species bite differently.

I think there is nothing more comical then seeing some rooster jerk his rod bach like they are cracking a whip:woohoo:

It also depends what sort of fish you are playing with I think.

For example the bass at Hinze, they hit very hard. But it still pays to raise the rod as you feel the preasure pick up. This will almost ensure a lip hook. Handy as pretty much all fish are released.

Angus

Kingtin wrote:

true you do lose some good ones but the hungry or agro ones will hit it good enoght that they set the hooks themself

only problem you need to watch is the odd gut hook but lucky they are just bream and we sure have thousands on them to play with

unfortunately i am not generous enough to let 9/10 nice bream go b4 landing them. lol

where i fish u might not get 100 hits a day so a high hook up rate is essential

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

for HB lures: hard strike as soon as feel anything that's not the bottom. ( though troy told me not to strike when breaming as they tend to go back and have another bite and a strike will only spook them)

for SP: hard strike as along as it's not the bottom or nibble.

for bait: i wait till a continous pull from the fish b4 strike. i tend to let the rod tip follow the line for 10-100cm b4 strike depending on the fish, bait, hook placement and current.

Thanks, Kev. Quite helpful.

pcsolutionman wrote:

when bait fishing most decent fish should hook themselves, using a sloppy rod helps IMO let the fish put a good bend in the rod before simply lifting the tip, no need for a hard strike

Lee

Oh ok, so I should settle down when there's a bit of a tap. That explains why I always get nothing when I set the hook prematurely. :lol:

Cowfish13 wrote:

On nearly every fishing show, when bait fiahing, they generally say don't strike until you feel the fish's weight. I think that this meaans don't strike on the little taps, but as soon as you feel the fish swimming with the bait, strike quickly to set the hook.

So Cow, what does it mean when "the fish is swimming with the bait"? Does it mean like when it's pulling your line heavily?

why not get your mate girlfriend kid etc to play at being ze fish and get them to simulate nibbles then a fish biting and a fish runing of hard against drag so you can get to feel what to expect and how to react it will also teach you what your gear can take in a dry and cheap enviroment just dont snap your rod :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Be zee fish, Damn Jase you've got me cracking up about that again.:laugh: :laugh: :blush:

Mate try a few different ways. Let them have a good bite and see what happens or a couple of tugs then have a strike, or open your bail arm and let them run and then strike.

Theres so many ways, trial and error will be your best bet. Remember fishing is fun!! Some you win, Some you loose.

I wish you the best of luck:)

Jayson

Like the others have implied there are plenty of ifs and buts when trying to answer something like this. Species, tackle, depth blah blah :blink: the list goes on. So there isn't really a general right or wrong way to do it.

As a rough guide on a lot of b and b species an increasing bend in your rod is usually worth giving a smack :woohoo:

Fishing the surf with 60m+ of mono out hit any hint of life hard.

At times you might not get even a bite but a feeling (I know it sounds like Im nutso) its almost like wind blowing on your finger and a strike has you coming up tight.

Simple lift and wind, or wind faster can set the hook or induce a strong hit, just takes some experience and trial and error to find what works best for you.

EMP wrote:

Feral wrote:
Dont remember the last time I "set a hook" using live bait or lures the fish I chase usually hit hard enough to well and truly be on the hooks.

Now this is a great info, Feral. So good fish hits hard. Thanks.

Should have added I mainly fish for Bass or Barra in Impoundments.

Simon Harmon wrote:

Terry,

Since when are casted baits a long way out, without the use of a slide etc?

I guess along way out would be relitive to what you are doing and where you are fishing.

A long way out for a basic little man like me would be 30Mts.

BTW whats a slide?

Archived