kreel

Matethe rock wall at the mouth of the Clarence is hot. It goes out like an L.

Fish the wall into the river facing west. This was the place i first caught consistant Flathead.

I also caught bream, tailor and whiting.

Awesome spot.

If you get a chance have dinner at the massive seafood restaurant down by the water near where I have described. Its fantastic!

Angus

You could drive to Iluka and try the rocky headlands for tailor should be a few still around. Or if you want to try a livie off the rockwall for a Clanrece river jew. Or you could try fishing for bream and flathead at some of the may landbased spots from Yamba to the highway. I dont know much about Yamba though but you should be able to find fish. Sorry dont have any info on Evans Head.

ok benno

yeah where angus said in yamba all the wall areas have there day.. plastics for bream and flattys work well.. you can walk around the sand flats easily just to the west from there especially on low tide.. theres other spots near the tavern which is on the river look around the canal estates if it gets windy, there are a few accesible spots...

evans

the walls will hold bream most of the time and some good jew if its a bit rough, be carefull !! :laugh:

the river fishes well on the first of a making tide, theres a sand bar which you can walk out to and throw into the main channel down past the rsl.. the bridge can hold trevally and bream with flattys thrown in for good measure..

there is chinamans beach over the southside and snapper rocks being the most southerly spot accessible by foot as there is an old bombing range there ... as a kid on holidays there i remember hearing the planes and bombs in the middle of the night

shook the caravan ..:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

there are heaps of rock fishing ops there, its benno territory..:laugh: not for us old fellas anymore eh elli ??

:laugh: :laugh:

some of the tracks down the headland are real billygoat country,

but lead to some nice water, i think on a very low tide you can walk from south wall around the bottom of headland for a stretch but be aware of what the tides doing.. some good luderick have been around of late but they may have gone..the main beach fishes well also.. throw some slugs around for a stray salmon maybe and a good chance of a chopper or better, some good jew are caught at times up the beach also i reckon the best fishin is up the river but thats another story ... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

pity i will be resting up after a small procedure kreel,would have been good to have a fish mate... hope this helps you guys ..

cheers

Maxi

pic of a mates jew off the north wall evans head

ohh yeah.. the old fella in the pic didnt flinch the whole time the mate was fighting this fish lasted 15 mins, he was having trouble due to his footwear :laugh: :laugh: which made the spectacle even funnier... nup the old fella didnt move a muscle .:laugh: :laugh::laugh:

[img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/aaaa__490_x_368_.jpg

post-2155-144598472503_thumb.jpg

The Yamba breakwall is probs the most consistent land based spot around. On the river side from Whiting beeach to the t-piece (rocky outcrop) will get you flathead, bream whiting, blackfish in a protected area. From the t-piece to the end of the wall on the river side is good for a few jew, with the ocean/ Turners beach side good for some big bream and the odd shark and tailor near the tip.

If you're willing to trek a bit, the first headland south of Angourie is a pretty good spot for tailor and jew.

As Angus said, good place to eat is "the big oyster", but expensive and bit strange. Better off to head up to the pub in the afternoon and enjoy the view then settle in for a good meal there. Enjoy

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. :cheer:

Angus, I'll certainly hit that rock wall and I think we'll have to check out the seafood restaurant, hopefully we'll be cooking up some tasty dishes ourselves. :)

Dec, I still remember your report from Iluka :woohoo: and it was a toss up whether we should go there or Yamba, maybe we'll get the ferry across and check it out. Thanks mate.

Maxi, yeah Benno's right we'll be land based most of the time however if we can get a tinny, I'd like to get up the Clarence to see what we can find. Thanks for all the input we'll try to put it all to good use. I hope you're well after the op :) , it would have been good to have a fish with you, I always appreciate input from an experienced fisherman. Love the pic of your mate and his jew, great fishing socks. :laugh:

goat_man_baa; so its "The Big Oyster" we have to try out. Love an expensive strange place to eat :laugh: . Don't worry I expect we'll be regulars at the pub as well and thanks for fishing advice.

With this sort of help, I hope we don't come back with a donut - that would be too embarrassing :blush: . Thanks again everyone, we'll post a report when we get back. :cheer:

Not gonna elaborate anymore with the spots already given, they all are pretty good spots. Just gonna say if you come back from a week fishing at these two spots with a donut, I think it would be time to give up fishing!!! :laugh:

Good luck & wish I was doing a similar trip!

Cheers,

Matt

maxi wrote:

ok benno

yeah where angus said ......

there are heaps of rock fishing ops there, its benno territory..:laugh: not for us old fellas anymore eh elli ??

Speak for yourself old man:P:laugh: , Im still up for it....just gotta remember to not let benno make me carry his stupid cumbersome $%#&$# bucket! :evil: :whistle: :pinch:

Hope you have a wow of a time Kreel and Tbox:woohoo: My favourite part of the world.B)

mangler wrote:

Not gonna elaborate anymore with the spots already given, they all are pretty good spots. Just gonna say if you come back from a week fishing at these two spots with a donut, I think it would be time to give up fishing!!! :laugh:

Good luck & wish I was doing a similar trip!

Cheers,

Matt

Hey Matt, we have no doubt that Tacklebox is going to come back with a truck load of fish, but despite recent improvements I am still concerned about the fishing hex over my head. :S :laugh:

Thanks for the well wishes. :). I've heard there are great rates at the Pacific Hotel; we should have a AFO snatch and grab mission on NSW fish sometime - down for a weekend take all their fish and slip quietly back over the border. :evil: :laugh: . If you know the spot eCat you should head the mission? :woohoo: :laugh:

Sorry for the silliness, I'm just getting excited about the 2 weeks off. :):P

ellicat wrote:

maxi wrote:
ok benno

yeah where angus said ......

Speak for yourself old man:P:laugh: , Im still up for it....just gotta remember to not let benno make me carry his stupid cumbersome $%#&$# bucket! :evil: :whistle: :pinch:

Hope you have a wow of a time Kreel and Tbox:woohoo: My favourite part of the world.B)

shame benno shame ....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

whiting beach and walk out towards the rockwall casting in to the bay (starting from the end of the beach), big flattie in the morning and whiting too.

Also there is an open ocean beach with the rock wall running down the left hand side, find a spot on the rockwall and as the tide runs out off the beach cast into the run out off the beach at morning (no need to go too deep).

Great place to be mate ,

cant wait to see the pics

cheers

yeah if you head to iluka i remember there was two great spots that produced heaps.

Theres that small rock wall down the road from the iluka caravan park, we got heaps of flattys and bream there.

But my favourite was that little cove beach between the rock wall and the smaller rock wall. went off with heaps of tailor, dart and whiting when the tide was running in. I also remember seeing some big luderick and flattys swimming around the iluka and yamba rock walls.

But yeah your gonna have a cracker

DAn

Perfect timing, I have been contemplating a change from the usual straddie hols and thought yamba/illuka might suit.

Have only been down that way for little more than peek. Is there 4wd beach accesses with reasonable fishing and what costs?

And kid friendly areas of interest around there, can be non fishing for 2 primary aged boys? Thought I might do a day or o/n reccy in the next fortnight with the boys if the bay weather is looking ordinary.

Archived